skid steer service

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by skidster32, May 8, 2007.

1. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

how many of you guys think it would be profitable to start a skid steer service in central Illinois? I was thinking more concrete/asphalt demo. but really anything with a skid steer. I know a guy that pours concrete, all he really wants to do is pour flat work so he will sub all his demo to me, but i want second thoughts. this would only be part time because i hold another job. as does the man that pours concrete. How many of you hardscape guys sub out skid work?

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

don't forget snow........there's a market for skidsteers in snow removal work. It might be easier to justify the purchase and the profits if you kept the machine busy year round. I don't know about where you are but here a large skidsteer will get 60-80 per hr with a pusher and 50-65 without. Thats pretty decent money. There is a guy around here that does this for a living, he has 4 skids, one Bob cat 334 excavator and runs them with operators every day. Never does any of his own work, he strictly subs for other contractors.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I sub out alot of Mini X work.

There is nothing like pulling up to a job on day 1 and see a neat excavation already done.

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

by the time you factor in truck, trailer, and machine you're in the hole quite a few thousand dollars....none of those things are cheap and if you find a "deal too good to be true" it is and you'll pay for it in the long run. The markets slow right now so new construction is slow but you know your area better than i do...

you also need to factor in learn time, you can't hop on anything and be instantly good at it. running loader takes practice and if your going to need to be spreading stone within an inch like most concrete guys like it you better get good fast or have a strong back to rake out your mistakes...i'm not trying to be a nay-sayer but between the initial cost and insurance, etc...i just don't see how it would be worth it to only dip your toes in and go part time

5. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

new construction is huge in my area. allot of the concrete/foundation companys are looking for mainly flat work and foundations, they dont even want to mess with demo. i have been running skid steers for awhile now and can do allot of things with them. concrete removel, were looking at about 1.50 per sq foot same with asphalt. and yes insurance is a big factor, we will be insured theirs no way out of that. we have 2 trucks and a couple trailers, one skid trailer and a dump trailer, a dump truck would be ideal for the jobs but were just looking to ease our way in and rent equipment for the first year to see how things go. as for snow removel the loader will be used year round. it will reduce us to one plow truck which will be nice.

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well then go for it..if you can keep the loader busy then theres no reason it shouldn't make you money

7. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

I dont know how it is there but skids are very cheap machines and everyone and there brother has one here id say check your area. See what rental shops charge and if they have them rented out often.

8. Needadayoff

Needadayoff LawnSite Member

Concrete and demo work is going to put some hard hours on the machine. I would consider getting one for excavation type work and rent one for concrete and demo as needed.

Then again, my opinion and $.65 will buy ya a cup of coffee.