Skid-steer service?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dodgemania, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

I do mowing and landscaping, and was wanting to get in the skidsteer buisness. Not really using my skidsteer a whole bunch for my landscape services, but using it to make money. Such as lawn installs with a harley rake or any other odds and ends jobs. Is this a legitimate thing to think about doing, and what do you guys charge to operate a skidsteer. I know if your in different areas people charge different but just wanting an idea of the the potential income.

2. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

Help is needed here!

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Income potential is totally dependant on your area. The key IMHO is you have to have the attachments. Everyone has a skid steer. The key is to have attachments that can make you money. Again what they are is dependent on your area. I live in a heavy rock area. So I have two FFC Preparators to install lawns. We do a lot of concrete removal so we get use out of our breaker. It takes either a lot of money or time to get the equipment you want/need. I didn't have the money so I have been adding equipment/attachments every year and I have been at it for just under ten years. A dump truck is necessity. I would not consider a pickup dump truck but a 33K single axle at the mininum. Depending on what you go into you'll also want to consider compaction equipment, lasers to shoot grade, etc. I increased my income by a third by adding a mini excavator. Keep in mind that just because they (skid steers) are small compared to other types of excavation equipment the costs of doing business are no different.