Skid Steer Stump Bucket

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by shovelracer, Apr 2, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone have a stump bucket for a skid steer? I just picked one up for a job we are doing in a few weeks and wondering what to expect. Ive always done this sort of thing with a backhoe. From what Ive seen they work OK. We have about 100 3-4" stumps and a handfull of larger 12"ers. Im guessing the smaller ones wont take much more than a dig and a pop. The bigger ones might take some work. Any tips or advice on these?

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I use a blue diamond stump bucket. Works good. Just dig under them and pop 'em up.

3. shovelracer

Is it realistic to pop 100 3" & 6 12" stumps in less than one day, like 5-6 hours is what I figured.

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

not sure what your ground is like but in s. Central texas rocky terrain it is more than possible. In fact, you could be done in about half a day. Now, if you have a tree with extensive, deep root systems, you might be looking at a few more hours but I would think a day is plenty of time to do it and get them gathered up to a pile.

5. shovelracer

Yep its fairly rocky, but the stumps have been cut for about 3 years so most are already starting to rot out. Actually the small ones could be taken out by hand, but why work harder than I have to. Thanks