Skid steer sweeper

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by minimax, Jan 18, 2007.

1. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

How much ground can you cover with a bobcat S130 with a pickup sweeper in a day? Sweeping a 2 lane road about 3 miles picking up sand from the sand trucks, they put down about 30 yards of sand. Putting a bid together. And how much fuel will a bobcat S130 burn a day. thanks

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'd bet you can go about 2-3 MPH. I'm not totally familiar with Bobcat, but Kubota diesels are usually pretty easy on fuel. Figure maybe half a tank for the job, but no more than 1 full tank. We usually get a good 18-20 hours or more on 15 gallons of fuel, depending on what we're doing.
  3. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

For some reason, I can't reach the Bobcat website to get any specs on the sweeper.

I think it's something like 60" width, so you are going to have to make multiple passes on a two lane road. I believe roadways are 12' width per lane plus 4' for each shoulder, disregard the shoulder if sidewalks are present. Are you dumping into a dumptruck?

I know you will be limited by the size of your machine on height when dumping. The pickup sweeper is heavy by it self, then add the sand, it could easily exceed the capability of your machine. I think you'll have to dump early and dump often. Is there traffic that you'll have to stop work for? You may also have to spray water to keep dust down.

I did a parking lot with which took about 2 hours for 20,000 ft^2. Your 3 miles of road will be about 380,000 ft^2. To be on the safe side, I'd estimate 40 hours with your machine. This also depends upon how much material you can get in the sweeper and still dump it. This sounds like a lot, but I think the S130 is a little small for this. The Bobcat sweeper on any size skidsteer may not be the best setup for this job.
  4. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

FYI we own a 60" bobcat sweeper (run it on a S175). It does very well sweeping small parking lots,driveway's etc. but the job you speak of seems to be way to big for a B-CAT Sweeper.......I would try to sub it to someone with bigger equipment.
  5. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Would be dumping in a dump trailer. not a lot of traffic not worryed about the dust the sand is petty wet.