Skid steer tires???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bottlefed89, May 4, 2005.

1. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

It's getting time to consider my options for skid steer tires.. What is everyone buying?? Do you all get them foam filled?? I have an 863, that I plan on having for a couple more years until I can afford a CAT. Money is defenitely an issue, but the added weight of foam filling would be nice as I lift a lot of pallets of wall blocks, and added lift would be nice. I've been quoted anywhere from $160-$250/tire and $1.00/pound to foam fill. They say it will take 198#'s to fill em.
    thanks for any advice.
    greg

2. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

Greg, I went with the "Semi Pneumatic" tires by MCLaren...expensive as hell...it was 2k delivered and came with the rims. AWESOME TIRES!!!!! I think they are very well worth it, particularly if you are going to be working construction sites where there are alot of nails or any soil that is full of shale and shot rock.

Here's a link:

McLaren Tires

Good Luck!

3. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

Do the McLaren Nu-Air tires offer much counterweight? I couldn't find the weight of the tires on McLaren's website.

Bottlefed89 mention about 198# to fill with foam, is that per tire or for all 4?

Either tire cannot be retreaded, so once they are wore down that is the end of the tire. If you are just looking for added counter-weight and not worried about flats, cacium chloride filling may be your answer.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

This winter I looked into foam filling verse buying the super heavy duty tires. It came out that I would save money on the foam fill if I retreaded them three times which is the max. they can be retreaded. I was going to do this on my 95XT which already weighs almost 10K I was not excited about another 800 pounds. However I am sick of flats.

5. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

I spoke with my friend who manages Tire Distribution Systems and they do tire retreading. He stated that they couldn't retread a foam filled tire. Which tire place did you speak with? Maybe I have to look around. I did ask McLaren if their Nu-Air tires could be retreaded and they told me no, but they should last 3 to 4 times as long as a standard tire.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I spoke with two different tire stores that both sent the tires (and rims if there foam filled) to some place in Wa. I can't recall the name but I can find out. Commercial Tire was one of the tire shops, the other was a local franchise. Arnco was the brand of fill. In order for foam to pay out, strictly severe demo jobs aside, you have to retread them IMHO to get some kind of return on the investment.