skid steer tires

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by gravtyklz, Mar 2, 2006.

1. gravtyklz

gravtyklz LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried the solid rubber tires for skid steers?

In other dont fill it with air.

I figure if you used just the tires then you would probably lose some traction, but we always use steel tracks.

Problem is....we've been having flat tires twice a week for a month.

A lot of grading at messy job sites!
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

3. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

The McLaren Tires are AWESOME! I had a set before I bought a CTL and I kow if I ever go back to a rubber tire machine, I ma going to have Mclaren semi-pneumatic tires on it! I work around construction sites as well as in a lot of shale and it is comforting knowing I won't ever have to stop due to a flat tire. That said, they are EXPENSIVE! When I bought mine over a year ago it was 2k for the set delivered. They claim that they can last up to three times longer than a regular tire, but I didn't keep my skid long enough to know if that is true.

Seriously, I don't think you can go wrong with the McLaren tires. Good Luck!
  4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have tried the ones with all the holes in the sideways i thought that it rode way to rough for me

i just keep my eye out for nails and scoop them and the soil under them. use that to backfill stuff
  5. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

Why not just go for a set of these? I see them advertised in compact equipment magazine all the time. Not sure of cost or quality. It seems pretty decent though after looking at the website. And it's pretty nice you can switch between the tires and tracks without having to own two machines.
  6. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

Much as I'd love to they are half the cost of a new machine.
  7. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

Why not have your tires filled with PolyFoam? When my tires were new I took them and had them filled. It was around $150 per tire. The ride quality is decent, and the extra weight has enhanced my lifting capacity. I have never had a flat....

8. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

There's always a catch isn't there. lol I figured they would be pretty expensive. But didn't think they'd be half the cost of a new piece.
  9. miacharger

miacharger LawnSite Member

Actually solid tires are much better in debris than track systems. Even rocks and sand can get in between the track and rollers and cause damage. From what I have seen and heard, tracks excell in soft, difficult terrain and on rocky ground, but expect much shorter life with rubber tracks on hard surfaces. I have used the solid tires and metal tracks and like them a lot better.
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

just rememebr that the solid tires or foam filled tires will add a significant amount of weight to your machine... I looked at that as well, but some of my landscape areas are on roof tops so I need to becareful of over loading the roof with my equipment....

but the solid or foam filled tires will have the effect of adding a weight kit to your machine so you might actually increase the amount of stuff you can carry as well....