Skid Steer Tires

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ma5tr, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

Hello All,

I'm about to purchase a new set of tires for my skidsteer(cat 232b). I'm looking at the Galaxy Brand.(www.galaxytire.com) Just wondering if anyone know what tread pattern will be best in light mud(and no i'm not gonna buy a tracked machine) I'm thinking of either the beefybaby or the hulks. any suggestions are appreciated. Also any input of any other onematic tire brands. Thanks

2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

3. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

4. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

What ever you do never buy the brand name Solideal, they came on a John Deere that we had, I have never had to deal with a worst set of tires than those in my life. I looked on the tire and they were made in Sri Lanka, WTF?

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a big fan of the Galaxy tire. I have had QC issues such as air leaking out of the bead from inside the tire, tread tearing , and the tread itself cupping and not wearing flat. I have been having better luck with the Firestone Duraforce DT tire. The tread is deeper, the compound maybe a little softer, the tread is flat so you get max traction and more floatation. Maybe check into and see what you think.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Galaxy tires used to be made in South Africa, I think some of the manufacturing moved to the US I am not sure. I think the older Galaxy tires are better than the current ones.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The Hulks are going to be heavier and provide less floatation. They will also take more hp to run. The tread is not great for mud. They are heavier duty and are the ticket in abusive conditions. However if you don't need that kind of tire you can almost buy 2-1 of the typical skid tire vs the Hulk type.

8. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

I've had the same problem they came on our new machine cant wait to change them about 40% now so wont be too much longer.

9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I"ve run hulks for years. Solid fill and air fill. Absolutely horrible in anything slick. Great in rock or rough surfaces but sand, mud, soft ground they are terrible. They are self-cleaning, though, as advertised.

10. Cantona

Cantona LawnSite Member

I had the same QC issues with galaxy tires as well as the solideal pos, we bought the mclaren tires for our jd 325 and everybody loves them, very durable and very very good tread.

*only problem one old timer complains about is that he cannot bounce the front end off the ground to spin on just the rears*