Skid Steer vs. Mini Ex

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Brando55, Jan 8, 2011.

1. ColvinsPS

ColvinsPS LawnSite Member

I actually have a friends bobcat 853 out in the yard right now and i find it much less useful than the compact tractor we rented to dig a water/sewer/electric supply to our pole barn.
    Seems the compact is more versatile but yeah there is a loss in the lift capacity. Maybe they make some that can lift 2000lbs? I had to hang as a ballast on the back of the bobcat to pick up a pallet ton of wood pellets anyways and the 853 isn't a small skid steer.

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

you sure that pallet was only a ton? the 853's tipping load is well over 3k lbs. And to say a compact tractor can outdig a bobcat? I find the opposite true...very true.

3. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

Couldn't agree more...We used to own a 853 and it would lift a 3000lb pallet of wall block so I'm confused also. And there is no way a compact tractor can out dig a skid steer, unless the operator had no idea what hes doing.

4. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

I'm pretty sure he means you won't follow through on buying your yard.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

oh, okay. Well he can take a walk then. I didnt buy the skid because the guy wouldnt take it to the dealer for an inspection I was paying for. JustStartin, his name works for him.

6. ColvinsPS

ColvinsPS LawnSite Member

It was 4 wrapped pallets one ton each of wood pellets. picking them off of my trailer it was almost tipping the skid forward.

As for the digging ability. I will say it may not have been a fair comparison since we used a hoe on the compact. It was more of a general usefulness comparison for my needs. For ME, like i said before, the compact is more useful. I thought maybe you hadn't considered it. I didn't mean to try and start an internet fight over how incompetent a loader operator may be or that i imagined the back end of my friends skid steer picking off the ground when he picked up a pallet of wood pellets from Tractor supply.

Carry on.

7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

It wasn't me bringing up incompetence. :)

8. juststartin

juststartin LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you got some $ in your pocket and it is burning a hole! Kind of jump going to buy a 20K+ skid to buying some acreage. Maybe your name should be just juststartin after that demo job!

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Yeah I got some $$ and its burning a hole in your ass. keep workin', maybe you'll get there some day.