1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

skid steer vs. tractor

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lee's lawn service, Apr 6, 2007.

1. lee's lawn service

lee's lawn service LawnSite Member

we build fences and we do landscaping do i need to get a 35 are 40 hp 4x4 with a front end loader are get a skid steer with tracs ?????????? can yall please help me out

2. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

None of us here can answer what you need. However, I can offer some food for thought: Each machine has its place. The tractor in 35 to 40 HP range would allow you to purchase something with a backhoe that is usable.

Consider what you would use the machine for most. A skid steer can accept many more attachments than the tractor. An auger on a skid steer is more controlable than a 3 point auger. If you do more grading work, the skid steer is easier to use for grading because the bucket is right in front of you & more visible.

3. Harrington Landscape

Harrington Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Erie Pa

If you get a tractor you can have a quick attach plate for the front on some tractors that will let you run the skid steer attachments I had the same question I sat down and priced out attachments Tractor rototiller, box scraper and rake will cost you the less than a rock hound and a eliminator. I needed to move more material fast so I went with the skid steer. I hope it helps .

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I love tractors but they aren't the best choice for landscapers, they have slower hydraulics (can't flip dirt and mulch out of the tractors bucket like you can using a skidsteer) and do not manuver as well around a landscaped yard.

A better question for you may be should I get a mini-skid or a full size skid first. A Dingo will really get in and around the landscape with minimal lawn damage (the tx425) but auger holes all day like a champ. The full size skid will handle pallets of pavers without blinking.

5. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

I have to say before I was set on buying a tractor but the more I read on here the more I am convinced of a skid steer with tracks as we do an awfull lot of new lawns where we would possible have to move a bit of earth although a site is usually pregraded and just need to be harrowed slightly and levelled of. I just have this worry about a skid steer doing to much damage to the ground. To be honest I am completely confused and am right down the middle on this one. The more I read the harder it gets.

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

rent, rent, rent.... I have found you may only really need a tracked skid for certain conditions... wet ground and existing turf. Replacing a tracked skid undercarriage and tracks can easily be over 7k.

I think the perfect combo is a wheeled skid and a tracked mini skid.

I rent a wheeled skid for grading and moving material and my 425 will do everything else... trench, augering, picking up to a 30" bnb, and even small grading.

7. dallas05

dallas05 LawnSite Member

i personally am sold on the skids. we rented tractors forever doing landscaping. then i bought a dingo wheeled unit. which is a great machine for trenching,augering etc.... but a little slow on new construction. so i demoed a track skid loader with harely rake and 4 n 1 bucket it blows a tractor away on productivity no comparison. to say the least i bought it after the demo. you have to ultimately decide yourself but i'm sold on the track unit and a dingo. a perfect team!