1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer with a 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grassmanak, Oct 11, 2006.

1. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

Just curoius if a skid steer can be towed with a 1/2 ton pick up, i have no clue what one even weighs, looking at renting one to put in a pool next spring?
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Can it be done, yes. SHOULD it be done, NO. NO. NO. Most skid steers weigh in at about 8,000 lbs. Then when you add a trailer heavy enough to haul it, (about 3500 to 4000 lbs) you are way over weight for a half ton truck. I recommend have the rental company deliver it. Yes, it will cost a bit more, but that much over weight and the reduced ability to stop is very dangerouson the road. Not to mention, if for some reason the Skid Steer is not positioned right and the trailer starts swaying, the weight of the light truck will not be to control it.

Glad you asked the question before doing something potentially dangerous.
  3. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Good answer.
  4. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, they are all right.. But I have towed my skid steer with the Gmc sierra 1500 half ton.. didnt even have brakes set up. Anyway, its not safe.. but we were going only a mile on a 25mph rd.. so no big deal.. yes.. GET it delievered! Much easier! Plus if you have to rent the trailer from them anyway.. deliever will prob only cost $30 more
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

3/4 ton is fine. Done that. 1 ton, I liked that even better.
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

no way I would ever pull a skid with a 1/2 ton truck. Even if you had brakes on the trailer I wouldn't do it. There just isn't enough mass in front of the trailer/skid to control it in the event of a skid
  7. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said, neither would I, its not smart.. but for a 2 minute trip a mile away.. nothing is going to break.
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

and when a small child rides his bike out of his driveway into the street, you'll be wishin you had it delivered or a different truck. :hammerhead:
  9. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I've done it before, was it the smartest thing to do? heck no. If you are in a jam and need to get the machine from the rental yard to your job then yeah.. go ahead, just plan your trip accordingly. Try to take as flat of roads as possible, or if you must roads that go mostly uphill. Definately want to avoid long downhill stretches.
  10. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

No way. Just pay the extra and have them deliver it. Much safer.