1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

skid steer work

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been getting allot of people I know interested in wanting to give me some work. Some of the people of course want to see if you will do the work for way less since they know me and some just dont really care about getting it cheaper which is the ones Im after. I have been thinking about charging $150.00 to bring the machine out and set it on the driveway. Then once the machine is there charge about $60.00 an hour with a minimum of two hours work. Down the road I may increase that to a three or fourr hour minimum. Does this all sound decent to you all? So this figure up to about to $270.00 for a minimum job. Now there is allot of houses all around our farms that I can just drive the skid steer across the land to. Since I have no road travel I was thinking of charging $75.00 an hour with a two hour minimum. My question is $150.00 is really not that much money. Should I be charging more than this? I dont want to rape people but I want close to the going rate. I know it's different in every area. There is not too many parts on these machine that can be replaced for $150.00..
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Do you even have a skid?
  3. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

I believe he does..

"I have a 250 Series II and a friend that has a 322 CTL. They are good machines. As far as seeing around the bucket I don't see how you will have a problem doing that. We have the low profile buckets (construction) that lets you see the entire edge of the bucket. If you have a high back bucket than you may have some issues and usually the edge of these buckets is not very long. I think you would have a problem seeing past this bucket with any brand of skid steer but I have heard the Cats setup a little higher. As far as the glass that could be a problem but I bet it would be a problem no matter if it was in or out. Like Dozerman21 said it is easier to clean the glass on the outside but that does not make it less hard to break. I do think they like fuel though. I know many people with Deeres in the area with the 200 series and the 300 series and they all seem to be happy. Only know just the one with the CTL."
  4. Fieldman12

Yes, I have a 250 Series II Deere that I bought to use on me and my families five farms. If it never makes a dime off the farms it will pay for itself.
  5. Fieldman12

One thing that will come in handy for me is my family use to own a gravel hauling business so I kinda know a little bit about how much rock is needed to do jobs and what it cost to haul. I will probably by another dump truck eventually.
  6. Fieldman12

The machine to me is just another type of insurance in case my job fails and I need the extra money.
  7. Fieldman12

Only thing that is keeping me from doing any work right now is I have some work to do to the trailer yet and I should be ready to go. I have a few jobs on the farms I need to get done first. I have a waterway I need to fix up and later cut a base for gravel in the new barn my dad wants to build later this summer
  8. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Around here most excavation companies want $65/hr. One of them didn't even quote a minumum other than $65. But he wasn't far from my house. But it doesn't look like you'd get away with hundreds of dollars minimum charge.

The $65/hr was for a 8000lbs 100hp machine with an operator running it. So there's no way you could just drop your skid off and strait up charge $65. You'd at least have to be doing the work.
  9. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke LawnSite Member

No one in there right mind will pay $150 just to have a skid droped in there yard. I would go with an hour min charge.
  10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

You might deter some people with a $150 travel time charge. Around here, most guys that have a skid your size charge about $60 per hour on average. If you're fairly close to home, a 2 hour minimum is fair. If you have to go far away, maybe make it a 3 hour minimum. I would figure how much travel time it will take you to get to the job and back, including booming down and clean-up. I'd use the hourly charge for the skid and tack that extra time onto the bill. I don't think most people will want to pay $150 for a transport fee on a machine that could be pulled with a pickup, unless it's far away.

These prices are fair if you're looking for more work. If you don't NEED the jobs, and you're just trying to land the better paying work, then increase your rates. I prefer to big by the job, unless there are variables that require the hourly rates.