skid steer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by frankmd73, Aug 7, 2006.

1. frankmd73

frankmd73 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, Im interested in buying a skid steer and im not sure what to go with. im buying it to mainly load salt in the winter months. I would also like to to be able to put a rock hound on it, move soil, clear sidwalks in winter. Im looking @ a 553 bobcat 2001 w/heat 1285hr's & a 753 1998 2684hr's both 12,500.thats rght around what i wnt to spend..any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I would want a really old, beat up machine to load salt.

I wouldn't want salt on a nice new machine.

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Really depends on several things. What you are looking to load... lift height and weight. The more you want to lift, the larger the machine which may not be good if you have smaller walkways. :)

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not worry about the salt just wash it after storm. I just bought a new f-350 lariat stickered at 45k. Guess what a snow plow and salt spreader goes on it. But i take care of my eqpt. Okey 1 have owned 3 bobcats in the last 10 years making it a business. The 5 series are not much of a machine. I would even be careful loading trucks and your reach will be very limited, maybe a 1 ton is the max. you are going to load. The 753 was my first machine and a descent machine except now im used to the long wheel bases and have to be careful on the 753. However the big thing is you can rent attachments and make money year round with it. I have my original landscape rake that i started with on the 753. Also i ran steel tracks on it made it a better machine on the hills, also i had a back hoe attachment for it. You can not use these on the 5 series. I consider the 5 series good for cleaning out barns, and rich giuys play toys around the house. When you get in to the 7 series they are more work and business related.
    Mike

5. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

553 really small.
    773 still pretty small.

6. Mike33

i agree with you on the 5 but the 773 that is now the 185 is one hell of a machine. I own one and we can do some awsome things with it. Probably more than most people we have over 10 years experience with them. Also you can basicly run about any attachment bobcat has to offer. And it is still a descent size machine to work in a yard with tight areas , what bobcats were designed for.
    Mike

7. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

I second the 773/185. It is a very good machine. Big enough for most jobs, small enough for most jobs. I would not go bigger unless you were loading lots of pallets of pavers/salt regularly. For lawn repair/installs the 773 we have is great. It can push snow, and lift a decent amount. I did just buy a weight kit to help lift the pavers/salt pallets. Otherwise you need someone to hang off the back (not very safe, but we don't do it often) or you need to unload a bit of the pallet. Otherwise the 773 has been perfect for us. The 5 series would be undersized. Before the 773 we had a 743B which was similar to the 753 you mentioned but had a couple more HP and lift capacity. It was a good starter unit, but undersized for anything but loading mulch for us. I think the price is too high on the 753 anyway. I bought a 97 773 with cab/heat 4 years ago with 1700hrs for $11750. I will sell you mine for the price of the 753 you are looking at and buy a new one. ha ha 4 years usage, and profit on the sale, that would be a good deal for me! Seriously think about bigger, and you can probably find one cheaper.

8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

ill tell you what spend some money and get a set of solid tires a couple grand but well worth it...bought some today and gonna put them on tomorrow for demo work....spent two days dickin with flats and sh$t with the reg tires....i would spend the money...oh yeah buy a cat

9. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

fair enough.

will the 773 unload pallets of sod????? I didnt' think it would, but mebbe i'm wrong??????

10. Mike33

As i stated before i have 02 185 which is the 773. I dont know how heavy a pallet of salt is. I can say i can barely lift a pallet of allen block out of my dump trailer it wants to tip and if i go very far it will it will drop but that is 3,696 lbs. If we take 1 row off that is 616 lbs lighter it works fine. The 7 series is a great machine we do things with it that amazes people. The bottom line is i also will say i have maid a lot of moey with them.
    Mike