skid vs jcb 210

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by IHI, Jan 27, 2007.

1. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

I'm currently evaluating all my options, and am wondering which would give me more bang (ability, flexibility, production, etc.) for the money. Either a skidsteer or a loader/backhoe/JCB 210 unit? Anyone out there running a jcb 210? Pros or cons? FYI - I'm in the landscaping (flagstone/sod/snowremoval/etc) business. All input is appreciated!:weightlifter:

2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

What exactly would you be using the machine for? I saw the kind of work that you do, but what all will the machine be doing?

I don't have any experience with JCB, but I know a guy who switched from Deere 310's to a JCB's (210's, I think). His operators liked the Deere probably a little more, but I guess JCB's were cheaper.

If you're wanting this for general landscape use, I would go with a skid, but it really comes down to how you're using it. Both machines have their place. If I had to have one machine for general use, It would be a backhoe, they're kind of the jack of all trades machine.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The 210 is a compact backhoe with a side shift on the hoe if I am not mistaken. It is larger than a Deere 110. More like between the 110 Deere and a 310 Deere. They are somewhat popular out here with the big landscape companies. I don't think one could replace the other however. I believe the skid steer will be much more versatile for the average company. The 210 is nice for snow removal, handling heavy pallets digging large main lines for large irrigation systems but it would be clumbsy I think to do yard prep with. Especially since you would have to take the hoe off to run attachments.

4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know much about application wise, but as far as machines... I wouldnt buy a JCB for love nor money! Electrical and hyd nightmares! Parts are expensive and unless you have a local JCB dealer, good luck in getting parts without having an acct somewhere outta state. I've worked on MANY 214's, 930's, 940's, 506 and 508's ect. All were junk amd customers constanly complained of low power.

5. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

The JCB weighs in at 10200 lbs, that would compare to a very big skid steer loader. You might find the JCB big and cumbersome compared to the skid steer, but the visibility much better. The side shift backhoe is a great benefit and with the side shift moved to one side it will tuck into the width of the machine for compact operation. The front end has a quick connect system but it isn't Bobtach, unless they changed it. The many of the 210's have extending dipper, another benefit. If you are looking at used, watch out for the extending dipper wear plates, if they fell out the extending dipper is very sloppy. I agree with some of xcopterdoc's complaints but when a company is as innovative as JCB it is going to have it's bugs to work out. Machines from the rental industry can be a bit more abused, I have seen very few JCB's with welded (repaired) frames or loader arms, I can't say that about the skid steer line accept for John Deere. I would weigh heavily on the performance of your local dealer. If you are buying new or a well cared for machine, take care of the machine you can get a lot of hours out of it. Whenever I get a JCB 210s or 212s I usually sell it pretty quickly to a JCB dealer, I know they love them!