Skidsteer Breakers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by skidsteer, Jun 15, 2010.

1. skidsteer

skidsteer LawnSite Member

One more question,would you go with a 500lb class hammer for a S185 or spend $1300 to get a 750 lb class hammer?
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I think a 750 pound hammer is going too far in a midsize vertical lift machine. It is hard on the carrier but also you lose the ability to plant or transmit the hitting ability of the hammer to the surface of the concrete. This is due to lack of weight on the front of the skid steer and compounded by a shortwheel base causing a teter toder effect. It really becomes an issue when hammering steps, porchs or elevated patios or other applications when your not able to sit the machine flat. If you had a S220 or 250 size machine I think that would be a better carrier for that big of hammer, making better use of the hammers increased hitting ability.
  3. skidsteer

skidsteer LawnSite Member

I have never used one so I'm not really sure what I'm getting into. Thanks for the input.
    I also just got a quote back from they are 2/3 the money for their korean built breakers, now I'm wonder what to do. Erskine is going up 5% Mar 1st. Tried and true or save 2 k up front and hope for the best. Anyone hear something bad about them?
  4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

My Daemo hammer is a 725 class, you just need to make a 2" thick solid steel mounting plate, that adds 600 pounds of weight, that makes all the difference. Oil flow might be an issue as well as back pressure, Bobcat's do not like running anything but their own brand of hammers, that's how I destroyed my T190 loader arms (twice) busted cylinder pins (twice) blew hoses (thrice) and swore at Bobcat (infinity)