Skidsteer heater output question?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by rob1325, Dec 2, 2006.

1. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Cat 262, which came with no heater. I bought a heater for the machine just like this http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/Cab_Heater_p/htm-12.htm and just doesn't put out alot of heat if any. I tapped into hot side (before thermostat) and cool side of water pump with 5/8 hose and ran it to heater. Heater works OK for first 10 minutes but once I run machine hard I feel the lines and they are cool. I'm trying to figure out my problem out. Only things I can think of is thermostat bad or need higher temp one. Air in the lines, but gets hot when machine first starts and is idle low. Or when coolant recirculates through engine, it goes through the 1 1/2 recirculate hose back to water pump instead of going through heater core because easier for coolant to go through recirculate hose, which has less restriction and travel. So was thinking or some how to restrict the flow so more coolant goes through heater. I don't know if anyone else as this problem. If anyone has any experience or ideas on this, I would really appreciate the help. I will post this same message on Plowsite to see if any other suggestions there.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

I'm not farmiliar with your Mach.but from what I'm undestanding from your discription of the instalation it doesn't seem to me like it would work well. I would however not attemt to restict the flow to forse the flow to go to the heater core,this could cause cooling problems. If possible I'd go to the dealer and get a look at one with the heater instaled and plumb it as they do. You might be able to get the info and drawing from there website. Good luck.

3. rob1325

I actually hooked it up according like the manufactors. I Put hoses in same spots where they hook theres up. I looked at my machine parts diagrams and actually bought the fittings from Cat to hook this heater up.

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

My first thought is that your line may have a partial blockage in it....but since it gets warm in the beginning, I am beginning to doubt that. Any other ideas out there?

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I think the first thing I would do is buy a replacement thermostat from Cat.

They are cheap enough to not be a big deal if that doesn't fix the issue.

RockSet: Did you get my PM?

6. rob1325

I think I am going to replace thermostat. Good place to start. Will ask them if they have a higher temp one also.

Rob