skidsteer hydraulic problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by OwenS, Sep 25, 2004.

1. OwenS

OwenS LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Hi,

I rented a Cat 226 skid steer this weekend to rehab a lawn at a house I just bought. I run a lawn maintenance company but I rarely have a chance to use a skid steer.

My problem is I can't hook up the hydraulic lines for the harley rake. I've looked for a pressure release, but I haven't found it. The couplers just seem like they are under too much pressure to connect.

If anybody has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it. The CAT store where I rented it isn't open until Monday, and I need it this weekend.

Thanks.
    Owen

2. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Try hooking it up without the machine running. Are connectors the same? If so bleed off the male connector of each and then hook up. Some older skids, mine included still have Pioneer hookups, and all the newer ones are running flat face. I'm sure thee Cat has flat face, but does the rake? Otherwise, shut off the machine, this kills the pump and thus the pressure. Works on tractors all the time.

3. OwenS

OwenS LawnSite Member
    from Montana

I tried hooking it up with it shut off and it still won't connect. The connections are the new flat face type, both the machine and the rake are less than a year old.
    I also tried hooking it up to an auger that is here also, and that won't work either, so the problem seems to be on the skid steer.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.

4. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes the couplers on the machine can become stuck. Sometimes we have to give them a little loving tap with a BFH (big ******* hammer).
    But, the machine does need to be off and the pressure off the lines.
    Good luck.

Rex

PaversInstalled.Com

5. fencline

fencline LawnSite Member

First ;with machine off move the hyd. valve in the machine back and forth this will release the pressure within the machine. Try to hook up at this time ,if they still will not go in unscrew one of the couplers on the attachmentjust enough to release a little oil. 99% sure this will solve the problem. Sometimes oil pressure builds up in the attachment simply due to expansion of oil due to temprature changes. IMHO flat face couplers have not been an improvement

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

The first time I tried to hook up flat faced connectors, I was trying to hook them up like the Pioneers.... That got old really quickly!:)

I assume you know how to hook up the flat-faced connectors? You just put the male against the female (or vice versa) and just simply push. The sleeve will then slip over the male end and lock it in....

Did you rent the rake and machine from the same place? If so, I would expect the couplers to be the same. If not, it is possible that they are different...

Dan

7. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Assuming the couplers are compatable, there is a hydraulic stabilizer switch on the left side of the top of the cab. It will be the one with a little red button in the center of it. With the key on, and engine off, push and hold down that button for a few seconds. This will release all presures on the pump, and in the lines. I will admit it is not the easiest thing to operate, but, once you learn how it is used, not bad at all. I can't believe your rental yard did not tell you about it, all Cat hydraulics use it. Mainly to allow oils from "Work Tools" tm to drain back into the hydraulic tank on the machine and make coupling easier..

8. OwenS

OwenS LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Thanks for all your help. I got em hooked up now after bleeding off some pressure.

9. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

To release the pressure off a Cat skid steer you first shut the machine off and then turn the key into the on position. On your right joystick you will find two buttons that are yellow. With the key in the on position press each button for about 3 seconds.....this will release your pressure. Now turn the key to the off position and either connect or disconnect you couplers. You have to do this every time you take off or put on an attachment. If you mess it up you will have to unscrew the couplers to bleed off some of the pressure. Been running one for the last 5 years....GREAT machines