Skidsteer, Mini Skidsteer or Tractor

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jnjnlc, Feb 11, 2002.

1. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Ok guys, I am soon going to be needing a piece of equipment to help with Landscaping and irrigation installation. I have a question for all of the pros out there. Which is best and why, Skidsteer, mini Skidsteer or Tractor? I currently do not have any of the above. I have rented a tractor with front loader and backhoe. The next time I need one I am renting the skidsteer. I know this question lends to personal preference, but I think I will get some objective answers.

Also, has anyone had experience with the Bobcat all wheel steer/skidsteer?

Thanks.

PS:(Yes I did a search on this subject first)

2. We kick grass

We kick grass LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,

That is not even a debate hands down the skidsteer is the ultimate machine for anything you need done. You can grade with it yes that means finish grade to. Haul sod with it that includes moving it off trailer and etc. lets see a tractor do that. You can set rock walls ,you will bust the front end right out of a tractor trying that. Been there!!! The manuvability is unmatched in tight spots and in landscape it happens alot. Don't even waste your money on the mini versions. If you are going to do strickly finish grading then a nice tractor with a viking box is probably the way to go. Case and Cat are my favorites not to sold on Bobcat. Happy buying they don't give those machines away:p

3. Rody

Rody LawnSite Member

Ok I currently do some ladscaping and feel there is no doubt in my mind in you regreting buying a skidsteer. They do ALL !!I have a tractor that i use too and there is never a time that i use the tractor that i couldnt have used the skidsteer.

Go with a skidsteer!!!!!! & goodluck with all!!!

Josh

4. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Yes a Skidsteer is a very valuable tool. There are alternatives to them that are just a versatile. Have a look at this site. I have used one and it is an amazing piece of machinery. The Prices are very attractive. Just another alternative.

www.power-trac.com

Look at the trailer specials.

Mike

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

in my opinion it all depends on the jobs u will be doing. if u will be working in very confined spaces, and/or small duty work why spend thousands of dollars on a skid? if u are doing nothing but landscaping and heavy duty then go with a skid, i fu have large areas to mow, the need for towing various stuff, and other tractor uses, then go with a tractor.

6. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Thanks guys.

I looked at the power trac and a couple of expos and was impressed. I like the articulating steering. I do agree that the skidsteer would be best. I will wait for more input though before I go buy.

Thanks

7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Just one quick note. You are not too far from where Power Tracs are made (about 2hrs). You should take some time, go up there and look at them. They will let you use all the implements and mess around on them in the dirt to see if it will fit your needs unlike at an expo. I know a landscaper that has 3 of them and not a single Skidsteer in his stable. He swears by them because he got a whole landscapers setup from them for what he would have paid just for a skid steer. Just trying to help.

8. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I had to make the same decision 2 yrs ago and do not regret going with the skid. One of the main reasons for choosing it was the ability to load a truck. With the attachments that are available you could use them for almost anything in landscaping.

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

With out knowing the size of your jobs or what your main line of work is I can't give you a choice. We use both, tractors and skid steers. the Minis don't cut it for us our jobs are too big or the material is too large. Tractors make grading large areas easy and skids steers move everything.

10. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

My philosophies on the matter are this.

You've decided you need a machine, but in the past, have never used one.

What this says to me is that you've never needed one before and that maybe, you don't necesarily 'have to have' one now.

I would strongly suggest renting/leasing a machine for the time being. There are many 'rent to own options' out there where you could get a long term rental on tractors, skidsteers, etc. and then walk away from the deal if its not the right thing without getting buried in payments.

Once you have experience with the equipment, you will see which direction you want to go.

As for others helping you, that is tough. I know guys who love tractors, guys who love rubber tire hoes, guys who love bobcats, guys who love mini-x's, etc. The choice will only be able to be made by you.

I would think that if you aren't sure what you need, then you may not be ready to buy a machine at all yet.

Just a different answer I'm throwing out here:)

steve