Skidsteer traction problem

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Michael Fronczak, Dec 16, 2000.

1. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

On the last snowfall our skidsteer couldn't keep traction, more than enough power tires just spun, we are using a rubber cutting edge, seems to glaze over drives, seems like site has a lot of ice, could this be causing the problem? Any sugestions, they won't go for salting I know that.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I think that is common with skid steers,I have run them and they just dont have the traction,I think its lack of weight more than anything,like you said,plenty of power.Ever think of a set of chains on the rear only?I wonder if it would teat up bad when turning.Are you using a pusher or a blade? how big is it and how heavy is the machine?

3. slingshot

slingshot LawnSite Member
    from pa

try a set of the rubber tracks they sell that should give you more than enough traction/ also i think a eurathane edge would be better than rubber

4. Michael Fronczak

Can't use chains, will tear up drives, thought about rubber tracks, don't really want to spend the money, normally woks fine. Next time probally should switch from the 8' blade to 74" bucket. That may solove problem.

5. John DiMartino

Rubber might be making it drag,but if it was icy,the rubber should have slid right over the ice-if it was blacktop it was on,the tires should have gotten traction.I bet the urethane edge would do the trick.

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

What size machine? the bigger the better also don't just drop the plow and start going foward, start moving first then drop the plow. Is it a 2 speed model or just a single speed one?

7. Michael Fronczak

Bobcat 753, single speed.

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

It's a little light for a 8' blade. it's onlya 4000 lb michine need about a 6000 lbs machine for that blade size. switch to your bucket.or make 1/2 passes

9. John DiMartino

Sounds a lot like pushiing an 8ft blade with an S10,at 4000 lbs is about what my S10 weighs,im at 4300 average weight

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

my drove my buddies skidsteer the other day for the first time ive driven one. I dont no if they all the same way but this one (mustang) was extremly unresponsive! He said it operates exactly like a lazer.. so i thoiught no problem. I got in it and pulled the left bar all the way back to make a left turn and it barly moves to the left... not only that but it was bouncing so much i thought i was doing something wrong... he said that just how they operate and it takes a little getting used to!