1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

skidsteer vs tractor

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scott185, Feb 8, 2001.

1. scott185

scott185 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I will be looking for a used skidsteer. The backhoe attachment and a post hole digger will be my first attactments. What should I look for in a used skidsteer? How many hours should I look for? Can I buy a good machine for under 12K. Whats the best machine?
  2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

3. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

Personally, I would prefer a tractor. I have used my skidsteer on an established lawn and tore it up pretty bad. Scott I do much of the same projects as you and I would go with a compact tractor. Lighter weight, with the right loader it will lift a 2000lb. load and is much more versatile. I have a backhoe for my skidsteer that is awesome but a three point for my tractor would be just as good. The skidsteer with hoe and 4-n-1 bucket weighs almost 9500lbs. I had to buy a bigger trailer to haul that much weight. I am leaning towards a new compact tractor and getting out from under the stiff payments on the skidsteer.

Regarding irrigation, I rented a Vermeer vibratory plow and pulled in over 1000ft of pipe in less than two hours with very little disturbance to the yard. Try that with a skid steer.