1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by SlimJim Z71, Jan 7, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I was reading the thread about how awesome pusher boxes are, so before I got it all off topic, I figured I'd start a new thread.

I saw the prices for the pusher boxes, but I was wondering how much a skidsteer would cost me. Do you guys lease them, or buy them? Also, are there better brands than others? And finally, if I look into a used one, what should I watch for, and what are some good prices? Thanks guys!

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Bobcat is my brand of choice.

The trouble is the cost of buying a skidsteer isn't much different than the cost of a 3/4 ton pick up.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Really?!?! They're that much huh? How bout used?

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Used is like anything else. The cost is less, much ya don't always know what your getting.

5. capital

capital LawnSite Member

The cost of the skid steer is high but you have to look at the benefits. I have two properties/commercial were with a truck we would be there forever and not do a very good job. With a skid steer you can get in tight and also have the added benefit of people calling you to move their piles of snow that they can't move with there trucks. This was a benefit I didn't even think of when I bought it.
    Now for the strange thing, we have accounts in a gated community were we send the bobcat to do driveways. Quite a few now because the neighbors started talking about the strange machince that takes all the snow off there driveways. We sent the bobcat out there because one of the plows broke on a 2500 chevy. Now my clients out there call me to come and scrap there driveways down with the bobcat.
    We do landscaping to so this opened up other avenues, IE grading and leveling for sod jobs.
  6. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Slim,
    New Bobcats start at around $18K, I like my 753 quite well, though if I had to buy another new one I'd probably go New Holland. Easier to see out of, easier to get into, better balance.
  7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I wouldn't buy one FOR snow removal. If you have one sitting around in the off-season, that's a different story.

We have 4.

2 are used to load the salt trucks.
    1 is used at a car dealership with a 10' Pro-Tech mounted on it.
    1 (our new one) sits all winter.
  8. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey slim,sounds like your feeling better.As said above don't get a skid steer just to push snow..now if you are going to get in to some landscaping thats another story.Around me here there is a bob-cat on every corner so I chose not to get one yet...I can get a bob-cat with an operator and fuel for 35 to 40 hr...I use one as sub.What I'am thinking of doing is setting him up with a pusher and set him loose on some of my bigger lots.What I need still to learn is what kind of productivity I will get out of it...which in turn means $$$.
  9. mowing king

mowing king LawnSite Member
    from ct

My bobcat did not cost "ME" a dime. a got a brand new 773 and i did not pay for it. My clients paid for the entire machine. you see i don't need a bobcat the clients do. I charge them for the bobcat. How many could you afford if they were free?
  10. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

I bought a 753 for snow this fall, withcab, heat, 8' plow, snow bucket, price was around $ 23,000, I belive thats with tax. I was debating buying this or new truck, payments would be same(aprox).
    The diference is a truck is worn out in around 5 years of hard plowing, average life for bobcat is around 3-4K hrs(low side), our machine only has 50+/- hrs on it to date, were halfway to our avg snowfall. Shifting from forward to reverse is hydralic, no tras to wear, ect. Feel I can get at least 10 year out of machine easily, still have exellent resale value. It works well execpt on hills, the sites its at have some drives on hills, found it's quicker to send a truck ther for 1-2 hrs to help. One of the sites has no where to put snow, with out the stacking capabilities we'd be SOL, they said previous contractor did it with trucks, don't know how, between lack of space to put snow & curves in drives quality would be poor/very poor at best.
    Don't feel it's the best decision I've ever made but definatly not the worst. Good luck.