skin cancer, preventing...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Jun 2, 2001.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I have not given much thought to taking preventative measures to avoid skin cancer. I'm going to a dermatologist Monday to have a small spot looked at on my forearm that has not healed over 6 months or so. I would hope he will remove it. Any spots or bumps I've had in the past would always go away over time on there own. Not this one though.
    I would like to be around to see my son graduate high school in a few years,(then college), and live to a ripe old age. I think most guys don't pay too much attention to this problem, (like me until now). What precautions do those of you who are smart and are concerned about this problem in our line of business take? I'm sure I'll get an ear full from the good doctor next week but was wondering what you guys know about this.
    Thanks much.

2. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Cant say I am very smart about prevention. Seems year after year I say to myself put on sunscreen, however day after day out the door without any, my skin is like leather it seems after years outside. We all need to go for the sunscreen.

3. Bassman

Eggy,

I'm in the same boat, I always think about sunscreen but never seem to take the time. Also long sleeve shirts but it is so damn hot I don't want to work in one. Boom, out of the drive in the A.M. and just wanting to get started making the $$ every day. I have done a little research and it appears that most forms of bumps or spots from exposure to the sun are very rarely of the metastisizing type. Not life threatning at any point. They may eventually become disfiguring to a degree though.
    I just don't like the idea of a bump that never heals over several months so am getting rid of it. Better safe than sorry.
    Thanks for your reply.

4. Lobster

Lobster LawnSite Member

Bass Man,
    I grew up at a time when the sooner you got your summer burn, the better because this would prevent you from burning again all summer. There was a time when people would slather up with baby oil to improve there tan. Even now when I have a chance to visit the beach, some are still doing this. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen, the higher the SPF the better. Now at least they have 'sport sunscreens' that are designed for use by people who are active in the sun. This product holds up better when you sweat etc.. Need to apply more then once a day, but even if you apply it once a day, that is better then nothing. Limit, (ha, ha), working from the hours of 11AM - 2PM, as this is generally the hotest, brightest time of the day. Dress in lightweight, light colored, long sleeve shirts, and long pants. Wear a hat and sunglasses that are rated to block UV rays. I'm sure there is more, but we all know this, it's a matter of practicing this.

Lobster

5. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Make it (sunscreen) a part of your daily routine. I keep a tube of banana boat in the truck and apply it before leaving the truck. I had a customer a few years ago that was a retired railroad worker. Skin cancer on the tops of his ears required surgery and major reconstruction...not a pretty site.

Bottom line: Wear a hat, apply sunscreen with at least a 30 SPF every morning. Ears, nose, back of neck are especially vulnerable.

6. Bassman

Enlightning how many of us in this biz don't take precautions for various things. I now wear ear plugs when operating mower. I can't believe I went as long as I did with the decibal level of high H.P. ZTR's and not protecting my hearing. Same thing with sun glasses or protective eye wear, didn't bother for a long time but after ongoing problems with debris hitting face/getting in eyes, I do now.
    I think I will definately take the time for sunscreen.

Now I just have to work on that sweet time after a hot, profitable hard days work is over when the ice cold beer tastes sooooo good and a few smokes to go with them, (add pretty lady & mix well).

7. one thing i have noticed is that sometimes during the season is that i get cracks in my fingers. right in the tips. any of you guys get this? it hurts just enough to be annoying sometimes, and sometimes it bleeds.

8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have to go next month and get a spot removed to be tested, I have been using 45spf everyday, after taking a morning shower i always put on my sunblock. But for many yrs i never used it. Hope my test are good. Just get in the habbit like brushing your teeth,or put a postit on the mirror to remind you in the mornings, PUT ON SUNBLOCK Marks Mowing Service

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have just had my first biopsy on a spot on my forearm. came back OK, but it was sobering. it's spf-45 now most days. besides, you still tan but you don't burn.

I always do spf-45 when I am on the boat. I keep a bottle of dishwashing detergent in the boat to wash my hands before handling any lures. I also use a fish atractant odor to mask the possibility of the sunscreen getting on the lure.

GEO

10. R & J LAWN

R & J LAWN LawnSite Member
    from mo

WHEN I USE SUNSCRENE IT IS LIKE PUTING BASTING OIL
    ON. I WILL BURN EVERY TIME NO MATER HOW LONG I HAVE
    BEEN OUT. ALWAYS WERE A WIDE BRIM HAT (NOT A CAP)
    AND SUNGLASES.