Skin Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Dog2001, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone developed any skin problems over the years?

I am italian, and naturally tan complected, but the sensitive skin on my face just cant seem to handle the sun anymore.

The skin under my eyes, and eye lids literally changed color last year in the sun, and my face seems to burn much easier. My nose actually burned to a crisp last summer. This has never happened before.

I actually have a series of small moles now under my eyes that my wife insists I have looked at by my doctor. Maybe I am just getting too old for this sh@#.

Anyway, has anyone else that has been doing this for a while, have any of these problems? Does anyone use any type of skin, or tanning lotion before work?
  2. griffin16

griffin16 LawnSite Member

It almost seems like the sun is stronger now. When I was a kid, we never used sunscreen and never had a problem.
    PLEASE do not bring up global warming, we just had the coldest january in 85 years.
  3. Lawn Dog2001

Yeah I dont buy into the whole global warming thing either.

Thats the other thing that bothered me. The sun barely shined here in PA last year. It never topped 90 degrees, and my face still couldnt take the little bit of sun we got.

Maybe I will just start mowing in a ski mask.:cool:
  4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Im not sure what its called, but I get dry cracking spots on my fingers. Its a real pain sometimes. It will come and go, and seems to only be in one spot at a time, for about 6 months.
  5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I am currently being yreated for basal cell carcinoma (skin cancer) on my face. This is a common form of cancer which does not enter the bloodstream, if treated early. I have to apply a medicine to the affected area for 6 weeks, if that does not work they will have to cut it out.

And, I'm a guy who wears sunscreen. The Dr. told me that a regular T-shirt will only provide you with around 10 spf, so it is important to put sunscreen everywhere.
  6. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I encourage you to get those moles checked.They're probably fine but malignant melanoma(cancerous moles)is very deadly but treatable if caught early.I've had several moles removed over the years.The procedure is simple,painless and relatively inexpensive.
    I used to like to get a sun tan but not anymore.I go through lots and lots of sunscreen.Good luck.
  7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I was going to start a thread like this a while ago, but thought you mught think i was....... well, light in the loafers. I'm 26 years old, and if I look close in the mirror, I have the face of double age I think. I started part time when I was 14, so 12 years in the field so far. I'm scared to see what my face will look like when I am double my age. I can't wear lotion cause the thought of sweating in 95 degrees, with lotion running down my face. Plus I use the customers hoses to always cool off, The lotion would be washed off in an hour. Anyone similar? I don't have any moles (lawndog get those looked at) just look alot older then I am.
  8. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

first off, hellllooooo!

Global warming is real and to deny it is just fooling yourself (all ice and snow packs and polar caps are melting rapidly worldwide), but since that's not the actual topic I would say that I agree with the experiences given in that the sun does seem a little stronger than it used to. That may be because I too am aging (gracefully mind you).
  9. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Put it on anyway,Adam.I use Coppertone oil-free with SPF 45 and it doesn't bother me at all.You will sweat it off over time but it stays on longer than you think.Just keep applying it and wear a hat.You've hopefully got alot of years ahead of you but are very susceptible to skin cancer.Take care.
  10. Lawn Dog2001

Nonsence. There is absolutley no proof to back up that statment. I actually read an article in the USA Today, that said US temperatures over the last ten years have actually dropped two degrees. That was probably a couple of years ago though.