Skip Cuts, or Extended Intervals?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jul 24, 2007.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Just curious how you handle dry weather mowing? This may be largely dependent upon how your business is structured, but I am curious whether you normally skip cuts, waiting another 7 days (or whatever cycle your regular mowing is on) to mow, or do you stretch things a bit, say going from 7 to 10 days between mowings?

Also, if you have done it both ways, which do you feel works the best, and which your customers seem to prefer, if you have input from them. Thanks.

2. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

if most of the properties on a route need to be cut we will skip the really dry ones.
    if they are mostly all dry, we stretch things out

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I always show up every week. If anything, I just trim up & be on my way. If it needs mowed, I mow it.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't do the 10 day thing.

If it doesn't need it, I skip and do it the next week. putting it on 10 days screws up the schedule. As carcrz said, sometimes it won't "need" mowing but edges will look rough, so I'll trim it and edge where needed.

5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

If we have (example) 50 properties, we have mowed MAYBE 10 or so in the last 2 weeks. We chop the weeds and edges down some but for the most part the mower has been idle for a long while.

I LOVE IT.

All customers are post-dated checks or commercial yearly contracts. We make our appearance, toss some beds here and there and its bye bye bye.