1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

skipping lawns -- flooding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 12, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Anybody else having to skip lawn treatments due to excess water? We skipped nearly 20 properties today due to flooding, ponding water, barricades, closed roads, etc.

First it was trees down (high winds/tornadoes). Now the Governor says we're having a 500 year flood. Not good. Hundreds of homes evacuated so far, and the water won't crest until Sunday. Three of our trailers are on loan to a friend who evacuated 3 days ago. Interstate 80 is closed in eastern Iowa, and it may be closed in other parts of our state very soon. I drove on I-80 this morning near Des Moines, and it was within 4 or 5 feet of going over the interstate -- basically it was a four mile long lake.

We feel really sad for the Boy Scout camp in western Iowa. Very sad deal -- it makes one realize how trivial lawn/tree care is compared to loss of life.
  2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel bad for the whole state of Iowa and especially Boys Scout families. In Wisconsin we lost a Lake Delton because it just washed away 500 feet of land and ran into into Wisconsin river. We received 5 inches of rain this weekend and I just got dumped on with 2 inches of rain in 1.5 hours. We sit on heavy clay soils so this is not good. Now we are under a Tornado warning so its not getting better. I have about 20 lawns to go on this round but it looks like it will be a while before those get done. We have water standing everywhere.
  3. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks Mike -- earlier this week, Mason went to treat a lawn near the Des Moines river........about 20,000 sq ft of the back yard was GONE. Mature oak trees also went into the river. This was days before the major flooding began.

News helicopters from all adjacent states are here now transmitting pics of the flooding. Every major news media televised live interviews with survivors of the destroyed Boy Scout camp today. Actually, it's been televised all over the world. Kinda like what we experience here during the Presidential debates.

The devastation is not just in Iowa --- It's Illinois, Wisconson, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, and more. Folks.......this is a very serious deal -- one of which you may not see again in your lifetime.
  4. superchad

superchad LawnSite Member

I live in Baraboo wisconsin where we just got another 6 inches today and all h-ll is breaking loose. The baraboo river is way over it's banks. I have clients in nearby cities that I might have to skip them for the rest of the season. I can't even get out of the city as I speak because every road is washed out or under water. If you guys want to see footage of this mess go to channel3000.com or wkow.com I have had scanner on all day those guys are spread very thin. Worst will be tommoro when river will crest. I just wanna do some sprayin!!!!!!
  5. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Was just watching the footage from out there in Cedar Rapids area, and some shots of Wisconsin, its horrible! Pray for you guys in hopes that you can do something soon to get back to work. I gotta beleive there will be plenty of lawn and landscape installs once Mother Nature calms down. But the total craziness there looks like it will be hanging around a little longer.
  6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, I just watched some of the tv footage on the floods. I feel for the families affected by the storms. Boy Scouts of America must be just devastated. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.
  7. lawnsbytim

lawnsbytim LawnSite Member

I have two lawns that are underwater and it looks like it'll be awhile before the water recedes. The rain was so bad that over 1 million gallons of raw sewage overflowed in to the lakes.
  8. brianhanson37

brianhanson37 LawnSite Member

I was down in the Dells (Lake Delton) and I was appalled. You would never imagine it being empty, completely! I was pretty amazed at how shallow it was, I always thought it was a lot deeper. On top of gas prices this will hurt the Dells tourism industry hard! If you haven't seen the dam yet I urge you to take a look its a once in a lifetime sight! A hole in the dam about 150-200 feet wide!
  9. americanlawn

from midwest

M & I just got back from a car show in Onawa, Ia. It is the next town north of Bleonco where the tornado went thru the Boy Scout camp. All proceeds from the car show were donated to the Boy Scouts' families. Life goes on. So I included this pic -- this gal put a $100 bill in the Boy Scout donation box. Notice the American flag above her, and the regular/common Americans walking in the background. That's what it's all about in small towns throughout this Country.:usflag:

2008 Onawa car show 001.jpg