Skipping????'s

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnny v, Oct 19, 2006.

1. johnny v

johnny v LawnSite Member

Do you skipp lawns if they dont need on a pay per cut account?
    I skipp it if it dont need it customers seem 2 apprreciate it. Its cold and rainy here so i've skipped a few this week..

2. surgeon83

surgeon83 LawnSite Member

Towards this time of year, yes. I understand that many people set up contracts requiring mowing (or at least pay) until a certain date, but if I were hiring an LCO, that would certainly be a turnoff. You're right; customers do appreciate the personalized service of using good judgement so as not to waste their money. That nicety is often lost when companies grow too large.

3. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I do it as it is good for busness. even though my contract states that I will cut every week till the end of the contracted season, it shows them that I am honest and am not trying to rake them of every penny. If it looks hairy I will cut it, if covered with leaves I will cut it, if it is obvious the grass has stoped growing or is growing slow and still looks as it was cut two days ago I will not cut it, I am not going to treat a client like they are stupid and charge them for work that was not needed.
    I don't like skipping, however at this time of year I have enough work to keep me and my guys busy with skippin a few cuts. On lawns that are contracted with one of my packages if it is a skip cut we usually clean the shrubs and trim out the dead stuff in the landscaping at regular price of a cut. Also with the exras going on, areation, winterizing and deliveries of supplies and final Ferts, I am glad to skip a few lawns.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, if I could raise my rates up to "worst case senario" per cut, and if I could avoid all the headaches of doing business that way, then yes I would skip and not bill when it didn't need it.

But personally, I find customers are totally turned off by this concept as at best I will close maybe 3% with my "averaged" pricing.... and that incorporates the concept that I skip and still get paid in order to make up for those real hard spring cuts or cuts in the rain from back earlier in the year.

5. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

If I go to a property and it doesnt need to be cut, I skip it and put it on my invoice as the lawn was OK with a $0 next to it so the owner knows I was there as scheduled and checked it. All of my lawns are on a per cut basis. Usually don't need to worry about it until the end of August and September.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Same here.

I charge for 24 cuts / year, but word my contracts in a way that skipped cuts cover spring / fall cleanups.

I haven't really mowed anything yet this month, but next week I'm starting my cleanups, which means I'll be at each property 3-4 times longer than usual, so it all averages out in the end.

You guys that skip cuts, it's all fine and dandy now, but wait until you get 1-2 months of skipped cuts and the truck payment is due, the house payment, wife needs new appliances for the kitchen, you have a major breakdown on a piece of equipment that's out of warranty, etc.... Been there done that, it's not fun.

7. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I struggle with this every year at this time. My policy at the moment is that I cut it anyway, although maybe a little lower than last time. My thoughts, pro and cons:

Pro:

1. If I don't mow, I don't get paid.
    2. If I don't mow, the compay's owners don't get paid, but pay expenses.
    3. The owner should/could/would have called if they didn't want it cut.
    4. Although it may look like it doesn't need cutting, what will it look like three days later?
    5. I don't want the owner to think I forgot or skipped him/her.
    6.If I mow lower now, I may not have to mow next week.

Con:

1. If I don't mow, I get to go home early.
    2. If I don't mow now, surely I'll get to mow next week.
    3. I don't want the owner to think I'm gouging or cheating them.

I think you can see that I spend too much time thinking about this...

8. johnny v

johnny v LawnSite Member

I love my low overhead...

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If I see a lawn that does not need to be mowed that I don't. It bothers me if I mow a lawn that looks fine. We skip several every week, every area is so different.