skirt wear? is 50 to 1 oil ratio adequate protection

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Green Quality, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

While taking my shindawia apart for cleaning the piston crown I noticed the skirt was badly worn! cylinder wall is fine. the trimmer is two yr old I run 50 to one mix! stilh 2 stroke oil,i hope the piston will give one more season of work before replacing. It makes me wonder if i should use a higher oil ratio mix to lube the piston skirt?and wall.I wonder if due to EPA. for lower emmision call for 40 to1 or 50 to1! in turn might not really be good at all for 2 storke??

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

50:1 is fine for many machines, but I run 40:1 for good measure.

3. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

could be the piston is just too short and allows it to rock back and forth.....Also, it could be the transfers and exhaust are too big and doesn't give enough support, letting the piston rock.
    It's not the oil that's the problem..........

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I use ; http://www.tanaka-usa.com/index.php?section=154
    Never had any problems, My Stihl equipment sits in my shop more than I use it so I like the stabilizer already added with the no smoke formula and no ratio guess work.

5. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

My thought for wear on the piston skirt,was not enough oil present,metal to metal sheering,cylinder wall is is fine,but the wear on the skirt is in a straight line top to the bottom.

6. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

If it was oil, you'd have warn rings, siezed the rings to the piston, or galled the cyl. wall..........

7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here, just to be safe.