Skoal While Working

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dblume, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Dblume

Dblume LawnSite Member

I was wondering what your thoughts were on chewing Tobacco while you mow. I had a Customer complain about me having a big Dip in. Is this unprofessional? Also i have a 36 exmark hydro and when I turn it tears up the Grass. Any thoughts?
  2. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

I can see where dipping could be thought of as unprofessional.

As far as your bad cut, if it is only happening when you turn then it is probably your tire pressure. Many people don't realize how important tire pressure is to a good cut.
  3. Dblume

Dblume LawnSite Member

shorid I increase pressure?
  4. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

Read on the tire what the correct pressure is and then inflate it to that. Make sure you do this for all the tires, to include the front casters.

Also, make sure your blades aren't bent. The slightest bend can affect your cut, especially on turns.
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I think I'd dump the Skoal before talking to a customer. Very hard to quit once you've started, used to chew Levi Garret myself and took a long time to quit. Been almost 3 years now and glad I did it. Tire pessure is a simple issue, for the best results inflate to manufacturers specified PSI. Lots of htings will cause what you described though, low pressure, sharp turns at high pressure and fast speed will cause tires to slide, had that happen to me before, and just plain old improper operation of the machine. Walker has a tech section in their Walker Talk magazine. The old issues are on the web and they had a section talking about tire pressure once, don't remmeber which issue.
  6. reneekrause

reneekrause LawnSite Member

While it may be a preference to smoking for some, dipping has the same effect on some customers as smoking. They find it disgusting!
    While speaking with customers and even performing the work do not do either. I for one find dipping to be a bit disgusting as the user then has to spit, when are you doing this? Spitting on the lawn, your customers may inadvertantly step in it! That, as my kids say, is GROSS!
    Best bet refrain from using while performing service to your accounts.
    We have had a policy in effect since starting our business that while on our accounts no smoking, and butts are to be placed in a garbage can not just flicked out into the street. This action reflects poorly on your business and in our industry appearance is everything!
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Hands down if you have a big dip in or a huge chew in you do not look like a pro! Stuff like that and smoking for that matter are fine in the truck but not onsite at the customer's location. Then again that is just my opinion.

As pointed out check the tire pressure.

8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, when people see you dipping you are automatically put in the "skank" category. And nobody wants to deal with a skank just to get their yard mowed.
  9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I don't think having a wad of dip is bad, unless you're missing all your front teeth, and you drool it on your chin. Only then, do you start to border on unprofessional.
  10. Dblume

Dblume LawnSite Member

thanks for the imput I will try to keep Dip to During Breaks