skunk bate and traping

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawncare18, Oct 5, 2006.

1. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Guys I need some advice.. whats the best thing to trap skunks with.. wich bait works the best??? I have 4 cages I am going to set up... what will attract them the best... also if once I have it in there put a towel over it .. am I safe from getting sprayed???

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

A can of tuna fish, or canned cat or dog food works. I have a friend that swears if they cant see ya they wont spray ya....................but I hope I never find out !!!!!!!!!!

wayne

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

Tuna or sardines are the best bait. If you can gettem covered up before they spray you have it made, unless you plan on releasing them alive, that can be a mite tricky.:rolleyes:

4. lawncare18

heres the deal... I am an assintatn superintendent on the golf course... boss is outa town calls me and tells me to deal with this .. just get rid of them... lucky me huh???

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

hmmmmmmm if you are in charge.........delegate it out lol

wayne

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

Yep, sounds like a job for the assistant supt.s assistant to me.

7. lawncare18

heres the deal... I am an assintatn superintendent on the golf course... boss is outa town calls me and tells me to deal with this .. just get rid of them... lucky me huh???

8. lawncare18

we even used grub control . we have already goten 4 of the dam thngs...

9. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

Company I used to work for hired someone to trap them. They had live traps with black plastic on all sides. They even had one set up right by the door when you walked in. They caught one, and a ton of people walked within 2-3 feet without getting sprayed. (I claim no responsibility if you happen to get sprayed, though). I would cover your trap with black plastic and secure the plastic to the trap before you ever set them out.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Caught many over the years. Sardines are my weapon of choice. When you catch one, walk up slowly to it and cover the entire cage with and old blanket. Pick the cage up gently and place in the back of a covered pick up truck. Once you get to your destination, gently place the cage on the ground. Open the trap door and slowly pull the blanket off while standing behind it. He'll run out as the blanket is being removed. The key is not to startle the skunk too much. They are quite docile when they are covered up. It's best to use the darkest blanket that you can find. I've never been sprayed and have never had one spray as he is being released back to the wild.