skunks/dilox

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonydana, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Tonydana

Tonydana LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of skunks?

Also, dilox was put down on Wednesday. Does anyone know how long that takes to work?

Thank you..

Tony

2. googleplex

googleplex LawnSite Member

Tony,

Have you tried a shotgun?? (i'm kidding!)

I haven't tried it, but I've heard that putting a few mothballs in their nest will get rid of most varmints.

Let me know if it works

3. Tonydana

Tonydana LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I actually tried putting mothballs all over the lawn and it did not work.. I wish I could find their nest and I would put it in there too...

Thanks..

Tony

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

look under porches and sheads big bushes also

5. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

I know for a fact this will work, got to your local grocery warehouse and buy a the biggest can of chile powder. sprinklle it around the area where the skunks are digging. there noses will not tolerate the smell.

6. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Tony, why did you put "dylox" down?

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Not sure if it works or not, but that's what it claims.
    Fox urine powder.
    http://www.frostproof.com/catalog/fox_urine.html

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Fox urine might work, Jodi, LOL. But......

To humans, it seems like a great tool: foxes eat other animals, therefore those animals will stay away from where foxes frequent, and most predators mark their territories with urine markers. So it is logical to use fox urine.

Only problem is that defensive moves are not hereditary in skunks and other prey. Thay are learned. Therefore, your skunks will be repelled by the fox urine, ONLY IF there are foxes in the area preying on skunks. If there are no foxes around, the skunk or other prey will not know what that smell is.

So fox urine is marketed to sell to human mind, not to the skunk's nose and protection of your landscape. :confused: Gotta love American marketing.

For real info on wildlife, go to Prevention and Control of Wildlife Damage. Skunks are in carnivore section. Most all cures you hear about wildlife are debunked as old wives tales on this scientific site.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Ha ha Jim, what can I say? I remember running across this awhile ago when I was looking something up for my mom.
    I had no idea if it worked or not though. Thanks for setting me straight. :)

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Heh, Heh, Jodi. Not picking at you, just picking at useless rumors of cures - and there're lots of useless ones.

One USDA study was done in CA, concerning the use of mountain lion dung to ward off nuisance wildlife. I forget what the target pest was, but they found that the mountain lion dung was useless, UNLESS the dung contained the remains of one of the target pests. They could actually smell (sense somehow?) their cousins were in the dungheap, so they would then avoid the area.

Nature is so simple, but the human mind is easily confused and mislead by simplicity.