SL Crop crop-coefficient for pansies

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by villagegreenlandscape, Sep 14, 2007.

1. villagegreenlandscape

villagegreenlandscape LawnSite Member

Anyone know what the crop-coefficient for a Smartline is for pansies? Since they don't like wet feet I'm wondering if that 200% for annuals is way too high. I'm in Dallas, does that number change from state to state?

2. I would think 200% way too high. I would start at 100% and tweak as needed. May need to increase frequency in beginning and cut back in Nov. I've quit planting pansies at my house so keep us informed.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Umm, i believe the benchmark for 100 is fescue mowed at 4" i think. WM numbers were taken from TAMu data on crop coefficients, or wilting coefficients from what i hear.
    i just searched the internet for about 20 mins trying to find the coefficient for pansies, but no such luck. Pansies are pretty durable though. I agree with fimco and would start at 100, you might even be able to go lower than 100.

4. All the great pansy beds I've seen seem to have these ingredients. Great bed prep, good drainage, blood meal, and consistent pinching of the spent blooms. I'd also precut some clear plastic to be ready for hard freezes in a jiffy. Of course it boils down to what the customer wants to pay.payup My emotes don't move anymore???

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO..Pansies should be grown in raised planters so as to highlite the beauts
    flowers..same goes for Meconopsis & Helibores.:) This post is a way to
    get to 2K & I'm heading back to the campground, in rain.

6. villagegreenlandscape

villagegreenlandscape LawnSite Member

Cloth is better, plastic is like putting a magnifying glass over the flowers. Also, I thought the water gurus changed their recommendation to daily watering being better than less frequently.

7. Real water GURUS use Lincoln Moisture meters:) Good tip on the cloth, I'll remember that.

8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a few hairs that need splitting..you guys interested?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Can't we talk about more macho flowers than pansies? ;)

10. Huh!! Sounds like the Giants lost again.:laugh: