Slate on cinder block wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by hdtvluvr, Sep 23, 2007.

1. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

I have a retaining wall in the back yard that is veneered with slate. Some of the slate pieces are coming off the wall as you can see in the photos. I need to put these back up. What should I use as an adhesive?

I assume there is a possibility that the tiles are being forced off the wall from water pressure behind the wall (wall is at the bottom of a hill). But I really feel like the job wasn't done correctly to start with (i.e. wrong materials used).

What is the best adhesive to reattach the tiles?

Thanks

Photo0004.jpg

Photo0003.jpg

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, no offense but that wall looks horrible. The cinder joints look half empty, and looks like they attached the slate with ceramic tile adhesive. Not sure if there is enough room, but they should have been mortared in place.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

PL adhesive

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

That wall is fugly.

5. hdtvluvr

So I need to purchase some mortar and use that to reattach the tiles? Do I need to use a notched trowel?

What is PL adhesive?

Thanks for the comments about the wall.:( I have to admit, it does look a lot better in person.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I'd most likely use mastic to re attach the tiles. Any tile place would sell it. However, i will advice that this most likely is only a bandaid.

7. hdtvluvr

Why do you say it "most likely is only a bandaid"? Is there a proper way to do it?

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

He says that because it's only a temporary fix. The real problem is what lies behind the tiles. Cinder block is another name for "water sponge" and as these block continue to soak up water, you will continually be replacing tiles. tear it down and start over w/ a qualified contractor.

chris

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

You made it sound like there was water coming through the wall. THAT would mean that the wall does not have proper drainage and that their is a chance the tiles would come back off.

10. hdtvluvr

I've never noticed water coming through the wall but have read about cinder block wall basements and the fact that water can penetrate the walls. I would think that if water penetrated and forced them off the wall, then some would break instead of popping off.

I'm not sure why they are coming off. If the wrong adhesive was used then that would be at least one problem.