1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Slate walk with dwarf mondo grass in seams?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Pro Lawn LLC, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Pro Lawn LLC

Pro Lawn LLC LawnSite Member

I have had a customer inquire about installing a slate walk with dwarf mondo grass in the seams. Anyone ever done something like this? Can this even be done in a structurally sound manner? Any suggestions wil be appreciated. Thanks
  2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

That shouldn’t be that bad. They are sold in flats, and spread. My construction process would be the same for any drylay only leave some wider gap where the larope will go. Rather than filling the joints with poly sand or stonedust, use sandy loam. That stuff will like the free draining materials (sand and base). You might consider using a thicker stone, like 3" rather than 1or2" to allow for more soils in the joints. That will make the stonework more difficult so be prepared.
  3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

ProLawn....I did a job like that at my parents home about 20 years ago. To this day, it is still pleasing to the eye and has held up well. I used 3"-4" thick slab material for the walkway for more stability and it was a very wise choice. Joints were 3"-4" wide and looked too large at the time, but over time have filled in and "feels" in balance. The house is in So. Calif. and mondo grasses do quite well in that environment.

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

i did one like this only i used thyme which is really fragrant,and real hardy......smell stirrs when you walk on it