1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Slective Herbicide Killed Grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BillyRgn, May 23, 2008.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

I am a LCO offering maintence and installations, i do not offer fertlizing or chemical treatments. i went to home depot to get a herbicide to kill the dandelion's, clover, crabgrass and some chickweed that i have in my yard. the one i picked out is called Spectracide Weed Stop plus Crabgrass Killer concentrate.. the description reads as follows "Spectracide Weed Stop for Lawns Concentrate plus Crabgrass Killer is a selective herbicide that controls emerged broadleaf ang grass weeds established lawns." i mixed it correctly acording to the chart in the directions , and used a shindiawa back pack sprayer. i sprayed the necesary areas, about a day or two later you could tell that it was working, the weeds were wilting, but then about four days latter the grass started to get a little yellow, and then about 7 to 10 days latter, whare ever i sprayed, everyting was dead, it lookedd just like round up. heres a list of ingredients.
    Active Ingredients:
    2,4-D, dimethylamine salt.....7.27%
    Dicamba, dimethylamine salt..0.84%
    Inert Ingredients..................87.98%

This Product Contains:
    0.52 lb 2,4-dichloropenoxyacetic and equivalent per gallon or 6.04%
    0.30 lb 3,7-dichloro-8-quinolinecarboxylic acid per gallon or 3.49%
    0.06 lb 3,6-dichloro-o-anisic acid equivalent per gallon or 0.70%
    0.037 lb N-(2,4-dichloro-5-((4-(((difluoromethyl)))-4,5dihydro-3-methyl-5-oxo-1H-1,2,4-triazol-1-yl ))pheny)methanesulfonamide per gallon or 0.42%
    Isomer Specfic by AQAC Method

did i do something wrong, was i suposed do use something else???
  2. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

what else has been in your sprayer?
  3. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

What are the mixing directions?
  4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

How did you determine that you were spraying the correct amount per 1000 sq ft? Is there a way to calibarate your sprayer, or did you eyeball it?
  5. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking also.Must not use the same tank as you previously used a non selective mix in. I learned that the hard way years ago and had the same results as the poster.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

What type of turf did you apply it on? Fescue, bermuda?

Generally you have to be cautious with "crabgrass killer" type chemicals, as crabgrass is so close in relation to fescue and other turf grasses, it's hard to kill the crab and not injure the desired turf. Not to say that you can't kill crab that way, but you have to be careful with your app. rates.

Are we talking totally brown dead, or just some yellowing of the top? Sounds like you may have over applied, even though you may have mixed it at the proper ounces per gallon, maybe too much volume of mix to cover the area. Just a guess...
  7. MDAutry

MDAutry LawnSite Member

I dont always use the full amount that the directions state, water it down a bit when attacking crabgrass...
  8. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

My opinion is that with the Quinclorac, or Drive as it is commonly called, in the mix, you over applied it. To much Drive will wack all the grasses. That is why calibration is so important.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

In my opinion you probably overdosed with the solution--and the culprit is probably sulfentrazone. I injured some grass with sulfentrazone last year--although it was a minor spot or two. Find out how many square feet one gallon of water will cover on cement. Then mix according to the square feet covered. When doing the actual application--just wet the weed--do not soak it double over. Today's mixes are more complex and not forgiving like the old Weed B Gone solutions.
  10. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Applicator Error..