Sledgehammer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HoseJockey, Aug 26, 2006.

1. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

Is sledgehammer the same product as manage? Does it burn bermuda or zoyzia? Would it damage zoyzia sod laid about 1 1/2 month ago. I pulled on the turf and the root system seems very well anchored. If that will take care of the Nutgrass and suggestion on the crop of crabgrass comming up?

thanks,
    Hose

2. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

sedgehammer and manage contain the same active ingredients. the marketing rights were purchased from Monsanto last year.
    same stuff, diff jar.
    safe on bermuda, st. aug, centipede,
    zoysia, bahaia, et.al.

works best with a surfactant

3. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

thanks for the response.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't the price significantly higher for Sledgehammer compared to Manage? I used to get a bottle for $89 now I think it cost me $16 for enough to make only 1 gallon mix. Am I wrong I didn't look at the bill closely? I started using image from HomeDepot.

5. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

yhea its pretty expensive for sure. i use MSMA for nutsedge whenever possible. if i have an account that for some reason i dont want to use msma ill use the halsofuron-methyl (the active ingredient in sedgehammer/manage).
    for a particularly bad patch of the stuff ill spike my msma with some of it too.

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Q4 Baby!!!!!! This stuff is the BOMB!!! Crab, Nutsedge and broadleafs all in one product. Did the math and this product is the least expensive summer control product yet. Gotta get ya some!!!!

7. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Q4 is labeled for suppression of sedge. I have had good results from sedghammer. Sedge doesn't come back.

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

who makes it? where can you get it?????

Also, I have seen less than expected results with image. Some of my customers are using iy instead of having me do it with manage. From the results I see, I will be treating the nutsedge.

9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We are seeing nutsedge return to the same areas year after year, the manage is working but the knockdown seems to only be about 70%

10. DTC

DTC LawnSite Member

MSMA won't control nutsedge very well, it will only burn it down. It does not kill the plant most of the time like other products will because it isn't transferred to the nutlets. Also, MSMA will stress the lawn a bit whereas the Manage/Sedgehammer products won't.

There is no reason to ever use MSMA on nutsedge as the sulfuron products do a MUCH better job and without the damage to the good turf. Plus once it is applied, the nutsedge stops growing almost immediately even though it does not turn yellow right away.