Sleeping on the job!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BobbyKnight, Apr 12, 2006.

1. BobbyKnight

BobbyKnight LawnSite Member

Get this. Last night I'm mowing my own yard. Everytime I mow, my 2 1/2 year old son insists that he ride with Daddy for awhile on the mower. He loves it! Anyway, we had been mowing for about 20 minutes and I ask him if he wants to go back in the house with mommy and his sister. He shakes his head no. About 15 to 20 minutes later, I notice his head leaning forward a little. He wasn't quite sleeping on the job, but in another few minutes, he would have been asleep! I couldn't believe it. So before he actually fell asleep, Dad took him in to Mom so he could go to sleep for the evening. :sleeping:

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

that sounds too much like my kids!!!!! mine actually fight over who gets to ride on the front yard and who gets the back. if they could stay that age forever...

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

At least your a good dad and take him on the mower. A few more years you can take a nap while he is mowing.:waving:

4. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

That is cute lol I was like that when i was little...Not ne more i get to drive the mower!

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

but....there are more children injured by riding with a parent on mowers, then any other injury to children in the home.......:hammerhead:

6. BobbyKnight

BobbyKnight LawnSite Member

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the danger involved in doing this. There's probably more danger in driving down the road in my car with my child than on my mower.

We should take a poll to see how many people are doing such a "dumb" thing like this with their kid or had this down when they were a kid.

Believe me, I am about the most over protective father there is. I just love spending time with my kids.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry, but I DO cringe everytime I see this or hear this. I wish I could find the thread on here that discussed this before. It had a link to a site that had MANY MANY incidents where kids were seriously maimed or killed by this very same thing. Even as secure as one may even feel, that only makes you feel worse when something DOES happen.

8. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I know this is not a mowing related but my son fell asleep while we were out in our boat about 10 years ago during a horrible storm. His mom and me were fearing for our life and he slept right through it. It was my scariest boat ride ever.

9. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

My girls love to ride the mower but never when the blades are on. Yard might look funny with all the tracks every which way but who cares, my girls are having fun with me.

All_Clear

10. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have a friend who was about 5 years old riding with his mom when he fell off the mower. His arm was severed almost in half and he has had no use of it his entire life except for grasping things with his fingers. Multiple surgeries because the bone is very brittle now. His arm of course is deformed. Please rethink what you are doing.