Sleeping on the job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Triple R, May 30, 2006.

1. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Has anyone else ever fallen asleep while mowing :sleeping:? I was at my last account for the day, it was barely around 2pm. I was mowing about 1/2 an acre on my rider and about half way through a started getting sleepy and before I could finish I was nodding off. I was fine after I started trimming and blowing. So is it just me or has this happed to you too?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

most of my lawns are so bumpy you couldn't fall asleep on them unless you didn't sleep for a week.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

If the mower had an autopilot a nap would be really feasible. I would get sleepy when I was cutting hay, usually right after lunch.

4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

no, but a couple times in past while waiting for new trimmer s*r*bs to get done i nod off in truck. they didnt last long. usually when i get home on real hot days, i doze off for a bit. try sleeping while doing 12mph on a walker!

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've never nodded off working but sometimes I can feel it weighing down heavily, and that's on a Wb with a velke... I think it would be in a way funny to zzzz off on that kind of a machine, but in the end it wouldn't be so amusing, unfortunately.

During the hot lazy days, there are times I nod off in the truck someplace in the shade when I just have to take a break... Thou this has never happened at a customer's, it's usually in my driveway lol and yes, engine off.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had a commercial property last year that was kinda dull, 10 acres, 8.5 acres in the front yard and completely straight, on a few ocasions I have pulled over and nodded off for a few minutes just from being tired and a boring yard lol

wayne

7. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yeah! Mowing is so monotonous. I mowed a large field 300+ acres with a 72Hp Turbocharged Airconditioned International Tractor pulling a 15' batwing and found myself sitting in the field not moving...apparently woke up after nodding off. Turned off the aircon, turned up the radio and prayed hard to stay awake. I was in an Antenna field mowing a military contract.

Must remember to Work 8 hours and Sleep 8 hours but not the same 8 hours!

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, me with a sugar issue, many of times I get tired right around mid-afternoon or so (3-4 o'clock). I have a friend of mine who takes a break during the day, and will actually pull into a store parking lot or somewhere, close his eyes and take a power nap for about 20 minutes or so. he says he wakes up fully refreshed and ready to take on part two of the day. Occasionally, it helps me as well (at home).

9. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, start tracking your sugar intake. If I have to much sugar it will tire me out especially if you consume a 44 ouncer and alot of carbs and it's hot out. Start taking mental notes. You might have gone hypoglocemic (which is low blood sugar) Good Luck!!!

10. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

I have done the same thing more than once. It isn't hard to do right after lunch sitting on a mower in the sun with ear plugs. I still imagine a customer looking out and seeing me asleep with the blades running, I would have to laugh about that.

REV.