1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sleeping with the enemy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimmbo407, Oct 7, 2005.

1. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

My wife and I are having a disagreement :realmad: . So I'm going to see what all the experts on this site think. I have a friend that owns a solo op and, I own a solo op. We sometimes help each other out, he will work for me or, I will work for him. We also use each others equipment when on our respective jobs. I think this is working out fine, however my wife thinks this is bad for business and thinks I should be using the time I am helping my friend to build my own business. She says I am sleeping with the enemy. What do you all think?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would spend more time developing MY own business. It's ok to help another out once in a great while (they're sick, mower's down, etc.), but I personally would not make a habit of it.

3. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

I noticed you are a fire fighter and doing this as a second job. With accidents and stolen equipment a possibility, one might need a friend in the future.

Hope my wife would be happy I am working two jobs for our family. :confused:

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I dont see anything wrong with it. There has been more than one time I wished I had a fall back on guy. Tell your wife not to be coldhearted, what goes around comes around. Now if I did not completely trust the guy or he tried to steal my accounts thats a different story.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Dont become partners. And if you need a partner, pick your wife. She will keep you stright

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I think you should use that extra time to sleep with your wife more often. :p

I think she is right....

7. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

If you and he have comparible operations and you both have equal amount of equipment, etc., why not just become partners and focus all free time building your business. you both could potentially benefit from this. I wish I had someone that had a solo op similar to mine that would help me.

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

finally someone starts listening.

consolidation would be a better term for it. how do you think i always get the huge accounts and tight routes. payup

9. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I think your doing the right thing by providing mutual aide (as long as it is mutual).Now i'm not trying to offend you but would your wife be willing to help you to replace the times when you get help from your other LCO? I help 2 other LCO's and we even have went as far as to switch some accounts to help each other consentrate our routes.I know there are a lot of people out there that will criticize this but by doing this we also help to drive out the low ballers by keeping our prices and our companies thriving by keeping overhead costs down by lowering our downtime and by monopolizing the better lawns.Not to mention the motivation we provide to each other.Most folks that have never been in this business can't understand your frustrations.It's the walk a mile in my shoes syndrome.

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Great for you. I only have two guys in the area that I would even consider doing something like that with. Most are so territorial and STUPID.