Slice Aeration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone used a a slice seeder to aerate? Has it helped at all? Is there a better machine to slice aerate with? Thanks.

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have never even heard of this!

I don't think it would even help as far as aeration!

Where did you hear of this?

3. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

i think i saw this type machine on THIS OLD HOUSE with roger cook
    reseeding / thickening an established lawn .

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I don't think he is talking about seeding, he is talking about "aerating" with a slicer!

Technically all you would be doing is creating a "slice" and after a rain it will just close back and and nothing gained.

By coring you are actually REMOVING soil and RELEIVING the soil! Also removing the core allows for better root growth, air movement and water filtration.

You won't get any of these key benefits with slicing IMO!

5. redmax fan

im wondering then if theres any other type aeration machinery besides the core type thats simpler / cheaper , or maybe a manual version of the core type . im asking because some of our accounts could use aeration but not enough of them to justify a big investment of over a thousand on the complicated type core aerators weve priced .

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If you can't afford or justify owning...rent!

If you are going to offer the service you might as well do it right and do a good job! If you are not CORE AERATING, then you are not doing the customer or his/her lawn justice!

7. redmax fan

ok thanx for advice . we could afford it but it looks like it'd be a real high maintenance machine and because were a two man outfit that get by on our hustling nose to the grindstone style while not being real mechanical it could end up costing us alot in maintenance which makes us think twice . thats why i asked about simpler type units .

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I would honestly consider both aerators and slice seeders low maintenance machines.

There are very few moving parts on them if you really look. Don't let that scare you!

Another option would be to go with a good tow unit, and then you don't have to worry about using a "powered unit". That would give you a little less maintenenace and much easier on the body!

Again...if you are not wanting to work on them, renting is a good way to go!

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Check auctions from rental places. I picked up 2 bluebirds for $400 a peice.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

A trencher for irrigation is what gave me the idea. The HO noticed how green those strips were in comparison to the rest of the lawn. This lawn has been subject to daily irrigation >1/2 inch per day all last year and now every other day this year.

Needless to say there are packed dirt spots that grow nothing all over the lawn and he wants it reseeded. I was thinking of plugging and spreading 5 yard load of compost after reseeding. Then I thought why not just run a seeder over it and put the 1 yard of compost over that. Not sure if plugging will be anymore long term than reseeding, the way he waters.