Slice seaders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott's turf, May 5, 2003.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I plan on renting a slice seader for a few jobs. I have never used one before but I have seen the results. Is there any prep work that needs to be done before using this machine? Any technique that is more useful than others? Thanks for your help.

-Scott

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just know your settings, and make sure you don't have an excess of thatch that you're digging in to. Other than that, you're all set to go. Make sure you use starter fert..;)

3. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

I assume your talking about slit seeder,about the only thing i would say is go over the lawn in one direction at half seed rate then go back over it in a opposite direction with the other half.
    Like a cross hatch pattern.
    Also watch the dept you plant at small seeds like bluegrass need to be planted at about 1/8 of a inch.The larger seeds like rye and tall fescue can go down at about a 1/4 inch.

Areate before useing the seeder and like runner said make sure there aint excess thatch and use starter fert .

4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Just what Odin said. If you go in one direction, you will see lines of new growth. Go in a cross pattern. The slit seeder will pull alot of thatch from the ground. I would just leave it as a moisture barrier. Too much thatch should be removed before you start.

5. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

thanks fella's.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I did forget that, and THAT's one of the most imPORTamt things.... go in two opposite directions. I am SO glad these guys mentioned that! I'm losing my mind!:rolleyes: :D