Slice seeder attachment for z-plugger

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by buttaluv, Jan 12, 2013.

1. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

Has anyone used one of these? I was thinking about ordering one...do they get the seed down in the ground deep enough, is it complicated to switch between the aerating head? I am torn between getting a big seeder for my tractor or getting one of these...

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got the same question we just purchased one along with used L. T. Rich unit. Two of us had a hard time getting it out of the truck it definitely heavy duty. We don't know if we will ever have any use for this thing but was going to try to plant some rye with it. Because of irigation restrictions we plan to get a hydroseeder hoping we can get seed to sprout with limited irrigation.

3. buttaluv

from MidWest

I really like the idea of the size, the initial cost, and using my plugger for this.... But not if it doesn't work as well as a tractor mounted unit, it wouldn't do me any good...I think this could be a niche market in my area, not many companies can offer seeding much more than a residential size yard, they just don't have the equipment!

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone know if you can run bermuda seed thru the Rich seeder? And what do these seeders cost?

5. buttaluv

from MidWest

I think their 2 g's....heck Ed, I don't think anyone has one of these things!

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I feel like the guys on TV show that buy the abandoned warehouse...just found a nugget. It will be for sale right after I try it once.

7. buttaluv

from MidWest

Yeah! That's what I'm trying to avoid....not that I haven't done something like that before!

8. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

I have one. It works great IF you are using for a new install. If are using for overseeding it rips the establish turf too much for my liking. And the grass gets caught between the knifes. But it works great in bare ground.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Do you think I can sow bermuda seed with it? Or maybe more important how deep does the seed end up?

10. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

I don't have any experience with bermuda grass so I cant say, but on how deep it cuts, you can adjust the knives to an extent to go deeper or shallower. I would say from 1/8" to 1 inch. But if I was doing a new yard this is what I would use.