1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

slice seeding, need help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DeereHauler, Feb 13, 2005.

1. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i've been reading about slice seeding alot. i don't have the slighest clue what you guys mean. i know what a spike aerator, seeder combo is. anything like that?

anyone have pictures, prices, do you rent, buy?
    i'm learning a lot of when and why, but i need to take a step back and learn the what. :help:

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

slice seeders actually slice the ground and drop the seeds in. Many models to choose from and the cost for a Lesco "renovator" is around $4500. They do a really good job of patch work or renovation and can be used to seed new lawns although thats usually a waste of time.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Here is the backside of my Jacobsen. The picture is kind of bad, but it gives you an idea. You can see the seedbox, the tubes which the seed comes down and the white drum at the bottom. In front of the unit is slicing reels and attatched to the white drum are disc that ride in slices in the ground, dropping the seed at a set rate directly to the soil. Olderthandirt is correct, it's great on patch work and at it's best on lawn rennovations, but in loose soil for new lawns it doesn't work well.

Jacobsen REAR.jpg
  4. walker-talker

from Midwest

And here is what the front looks like.

Jacobsen FRONT.jpg
  5. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

Are the results as good with that machine compared to a Ryan Mataway. I Hated the front wheel drive on that unit. The rear wheel drive on the Jacobsen look much easier to maneuver. Being a lightweight, I was worn out after logging six hours on one this past fall. I'm in pretty good shape, but it took me couple of days to get back to normal after wrestling that thing around.
  6. walker-talker

from Midwest

I had narrowed my purchase down to either this one, the Jacobsen Aero King or the Ryan Mataway. The final decision was based on a few different factors. One, that the Aero King had left and right breaking (turning is a breeze). Second, the slicing reels are spaced every 1.5" vs the Ryan at 2" and finally, 13hp Honda engine vs the Ryan having a 11hp Kohler. Another advantage with the Aero King is it has a diveder in the seed box and seperate controls for the drop rate of seed. If I ever want to drop a mix of seed, say part fescue and part rye, I could drop both seeds and a different rate. The biggest downfall is that they don't make the unit any longer. Textron owns both and from my understanding, the Aero King was a larger saler. Don't ask me why they discontinued this model if they sold more Aero Kings than Mataways???

I cannot compare the results between the two machines since I have never ran a Mataway, but for lawn rennovations, the Jacobsen Aero King 1321 works well.