1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Slice Seeding question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rick2752, Oct 1, 2004.

1. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

I just slice seeded a lawn about 3 acres for a family member, I tried to time it for some rain but it didnt work out. Its been about 3 weeks now and it really hasnt come up much after me bragging about how good slice seeding is. I put down over 100lbs of seed so I know its there. If the seed is in the ground and doesnt get the water it needs, will it just germinate in the spring or is it wasted.
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

a 50 lb bag @5#/1000 sqft only goes 10K sq ft - you did 3 acres - do the math you should have used at least 10 bags or 500#'s of seed. Me thinks you wasted your time & their $. Just my opinion.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

...and this WAS on an existing lawn, right?
  4. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

yea it was existing that was already seeded and come up but it was really thin. Guess Ill see what happens this spring. Thanks for the input.
  5. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

you should have put out about 800 pounds of seed for 3 acres.
  6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Slice seeding is worth bragging about if you use enough seed. At the 100 lbs to 3 acres that would be comparable to putting 4 lbs of seed on an average size lot, a little light. Now if you would go back and do that about 5 to 6 more times you will have the bragging rights :D
  7. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Should I do it again now? I know much heavier seed!!! Im in Ohio. If I do it and I dont get warm weather will it germinate in the spring.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No. You should use he proper fertilizer if you want to make an impression,....let alone impress them. Goe with a HIGH potassium to increase root growth. This is a time of year when this is so important, because the turf is growing roots now. It does this twice a season....once in the spring and once in the fall - not so much in the fall as the spring, but it still is a crucial time for turf establishment. I wish I coud see it. I could give them grass so thick that they couldn't even cut it by spring. You WILL need some nitrogen at this time of year, also.
  9. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

just go over it real quick with more seed in a broadcast spreader. the slices are still there. otherwise it was all a waste. throw some fert on and youll be good to go.
  10. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

I actually know where Oregonia is since I have a good friend there. Your seeding season may be extended just a bit over central and northern Ohio (not much though). Seeding rate depends alot on what type seed it was. On an existing but thin lawn you should have overseeded with about 6 lbs/1000 square ft or about 700 lbs of seed if using tall fescue. About 3 lb/1000 sq ft or 350 lbs. if using blugrass/rye mix. May want to try again but hurry. And don't forget the starter fert.