Slice Seeding vs Aeration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by zinkjo, Apr 23, 2005.

1. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

What is everyone's opinion on overseeding. Do you use an aerator or is everyone jumping on board with slice seeding? I am thinking about purchasing the blue bird power rake which has a seeder attachment. Any opinions on the blue bird?

2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

If your turf is fairly thick then I suggest just aerating and overseeding at about five pounds per thousand square foot. (we're talking fescue) The aeration is beneficial for the turf and it does provide a better seed bed than not aerating. I purchased a bluebird power rake last fall and I also purchased the delta verticutter blades. I thought I could change them back and fourth but it's to big of an ordeal so I just left the verticutter blades on. The yards that I sliced with the verticutter before seeding last fall are my best lawns this spring. The verticutter really provides an excellent seed bed. When you're seeding fescue over bermuda and other warm season grasses i'v found that just aerating and seeding gives poor results, too much thatch, the seed never comes in contact with the ground or it does just in the aeration holes and it looks spotty. The verticutter solves that problem. There is one drawback. The verticutter digs up alot of thatch, which is good, but you have to collect it somehow. One yard I did was 20,000 square feet and I used the bagger on my ZTR to collect the thatch and dead grass (I killed the yard) and I collected 51 bags of debri. Definitely a lot of work but the results were amazing. I didn't get the seeding attachment for the bluebird I just come back with a spreader to seed.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Been using a lesco renovator for 6 yrs now instead of an aerator, The results are better and the profits are higher.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've done both methods and the slit seeding is far, far superior.

5. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Does the Lesco renovator dig up a lot of thatch that has to be collected?

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

YES.......

7. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, I too had a "Bluebird" thatcher, and converted it to the slicer/ seeder w/ seed hopper & cutting bar.....It really gives you alot of bang for the buck [ new they cost $12-1500.00], as things happened I eventually purchased 4 of them [ 2-per truck, 1-per man] and they were great on lawns up to about a 1/2 ac., as my lawns grew I added the Lesco Renovaters/ self propelled units, just got 2-on Ebay for $1300.00 a piece, they are "Awesome Machines" & keep the "Bluebirds" as back-ups, Now, very nice "Bluebirds" can be had on E-bay for $400.00, a hugh saveing over new....About the thatch thats kicked up?, We leave it, telling the customer it will be picked up on the next mowing in 10 days......."Food for Thought", on lawns where "Round-up" has been used, we just slice & seed right through it, the dead grass acts as a seed bed, sort of like adding peat-moss, a real Time & Labour saver.Havent "Thatched" a lawn in over 12 years. Good Luck :cool2: payup payup

8. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

I have a new customer requesting a de-thatching. Their lawn could really use it. I'm considering using this job as an excuse to purchase the blue bird and use it as a de-thatcher and then in the fall use it for slice seeding. Sound like a good plan?