slicey really needs a trimmer also

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slicey, May 23, 2005.

1. slicey

slicey LawnSite Member

slicey here again, some here already know about my quest for a blower. i have to get one more item before i can leave the power cord at home. same as before, only i need a trimmer for lite duty(1.5 hours/week max use) i get people who need lite brush, as high as 40 inches so far, cut. i've a trimmer/mower that can go to town on that stuff. that's why the trimmer work is light duty plus i do only 1 or 2 homes per week. i really like the ryobi SS30 at home depot. but my big concern is, even for my casual needs, will this unit still become a little stubborn getting started when it's needed? if you think it will, could you please suggest some home/light commercial-duty rated trimmers that aren't going to cost more than 250ish, if possible. i did read 1.5 years' worth of posts about people who own low-end home rated trimmers that became fussy to start easy and keep runnnig properly in a short period of time. what i don't know is, if they where placing commercial-use demands on these units or not. any help or insight is greatly appreciated. slicey

2. slicey

slicey LawnSite Member

come on guys, there has to be a trimmer out there that meets my needs. if perhaps, yes but not for as little as you want to pay, unless you find one used, you could tell me. i can take it. even that would help some. you've already been helpfull before. thank you,
    slicey

3. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Stihl fs-55. It was $199.99. It gets LOTS of use, like probably as much as 10 hours a week. It has plently on power and the head always advances pretty good and goes a long time between replacing the twine.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Thats a great place to start, you are in the homeowner class for that price but they still are great tools. Why don't u just get a used commercial trimmer and save money there? Thats what i would do. A good trimmer will start by the second pull even if you use it once a week.

6. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

buy an echo from home depot you can get a commercial grade trimmer for around 250

7. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Yep, the Echo srm200 is $200, but buy it from a commercial mower dealer, you'll be off to a good start.

8. slicey

slicey LawnSite Member

thank you everyone! that's what i needed. is ebay and my local classifieds my only places to shop for used gear?
    Tider6972, ehy do you say to buy from a commercial dealer? they don't give you coffee and a donut, then hug you when you walk through the door, do they? seriously though, is it because i'll get faster service if i do have problems from someone right there at the counter who could easily tell what the problem is and help get me out working quickly? 'cause that sounds logical.

9. slicey

slicey LawnSite Member

just wondering, does anyone from the southwest united states post at these forums? all i read about are guys talking about cutting grass w/ riding mowers.