Slide in water tanks?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by stuvecorp, Jul 19, 2008.

1. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I have been starting to bid some bigger seeding jobs and want to get more efficient. One way would be to have more water carrying capability for the hydromulching. I have been looking for tanks that could slide in to dump boxes but haven't really found anything yet. I figured the Kodiak single axle could handle a 2500 gallon tank but then with my 'need' for a big truck, how big could you slide in to a quad with a 18.5' dump box? Has anyone seen that or done that?

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

There are a couple guys that have slide in water tanks in their dump trucks. The biggest drawback is that you lose a truck. Depending on how much you want to add, I would get some of the poly tanks and put them on a 5th wheel flatbed. Mount a pump on the trailer and you could take water from rivers, canals or lakes or still fill from fire hyd.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Water hauled in a dump truck can be unstable you need a baffled tank for sure. I used to drive a rolloff truck with a 3000 imperial gallon tank and it was one frigging scary ride with a unbaffled tank.

I second what KSSS says use the 500 gallon poly tanks they are flat on the bottom so they are easy to strap down.

Your other option is buy a used Milk tank and mount it on a trailer or a truck.

When you figure water is 8lbs per gallon a 2500 gallon tank your looking at 20,000lbs of liquid weight that would be very scary in a single axle dump :dizzy:

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you might need a tank endorsement on your license...for some reason 300 gallons stands out to me as the max you can carry without the endorsement

5. stuvecorp

The big thing is to not have alot tied up, if a tank could be slid in for the afternoon, spray and the next day go back to hauling dirt. For some reason I thought water was 6 pounds per gallon, thats how I figured - might have to back down the numbers then. Dirt Digger, I will check that out, too.

My friend just got a repairable '05 2500 duramax that could pull a gooseneck with some poly tanks but wouldn't be able to pull much, would it?

6. stuvecorp

I checked the CDL book and if you are operating an 26,100 gvw truck that has a 1,000 gallon tank or more you need a 'N' endorsement in Wisconsin. good to know.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am pretty sure that water is 8 pounds per gallon. Depending on how your set up the slide in my work. My luck such as it is, I would need the dump truck to haul material and the excavator would be somewhere else and I not have the ability or the time to pull the tank. If a 1000 gallons would be enough putting on a trailer would seemingly be the best. The tanks are relatively cheap, you might be able to pickup a used one at a farm auction. If you have enough trailer you could put two 1000 gal. tanks on one trailer. If not the slide in tanks I see for sale from time time. Cant recall a number off hand.

8. stuvecorp

Yah, that is how stuff seems to go for me too.

9. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

water weight is 8.33 pounds per gallon...Ken

10. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

as i understand 1000 gals is the break point for cdl tanker endorsement. i agree with the trailer idea if you will have room to move where it will be working. also wouldn't go heavier than 1000 gals on aa single axle.
    good luck,