Slime for ZTR tires?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Green Pastures, May 22, 2004.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Walker and two Toro ZTR's that all have slow leaks in the big back tires.

The Walker also has two front tires that will not hold any air for more that 2 minutes.

I've seen the solid front tires on the Walker website.....anybody used them?

I was in Northern Tool today getting some safety glasses and earplugs and saw this stuff called Slime.

Anybody used that?

Anything better? Similar?

2. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

my hustler came from the dealer with slime in all tires, I have not lost any air in about a year.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I work for a Walker dealer. We sell a lot of the solid deck tires. We also sell Slime. We have never had any problems with the solid tires. I have seen them cut to shreds and still be usable. The Slime works great. It is nothing like that old fix a flat type stuff. We get a lot of locus thorns in this area. I have seen tires come in that looked like a porcupine with Slime in them and still be able to hold air. The only thing about Slime is it is not for tires used at highway speeds. If it was I would use it in my car tires. If I was you I would at least give it a try.

4. Green Pastures

You say you work at a Walker dealer.....

Have you ever had to change a tire with slime in it?

Does it make the guy's really mad?

I'm assuming I'd just tell them that it's in there and not let it be a surprise, maybe then they would not be so bad for them.

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, I have changed a Slime filled tire. and we only put it in if they want us to, some people just dont not want it. Most of the time when we have to change a tire that has Slime in them the tire is trash any way so we just cut it off the rim with a razor knife and take the hose and wash it down. You can put a tube in the tire and put the Slime in the tube which is a little less messy. You can buy tubes prefilled with Slime. You can tell 99% of the time what tires do and do not have Slime in them by the weight and feel. Yes it can get messy. I would tell them just to be nice.

6. Green Pastures

Thanks Fixer67, I think I'm going to try it out.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use Slime in all my stuff. Works great.

8. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We use the HD Slime, work better for us. It will plug a little large hole. HD Slime has black rubber chunks in it, reg Slime just plain green. And there is a usage chart for on road vehicles.

9. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

SLime works great, Have some tires that were "slimed" in 1994. Haven't had a flat since then. Of course I am due for some new tires now.

For example, in 1999 we had a bad F5 tornado come through here and damaged hundreds of homes. Roofing nails were everywhere and other objects litter the lawns. Even after clean up many hidden nails remained. Guys who didn't have slime in there tires were having "mucho" flats.