Slime in tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Titans Fan, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Does anyone use Slime in their tires?

And does it work well?

Thanks!

2. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

yes and no, if you read the bottle it says it takes so many miles at so many miles per hour to seal correctly. ive also had a couple different tire shops tell me it eats up the inside of the rim, making it hard to seat the bead.

3. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

I have used it without much of a problem. Great fix if you have an air pump on the truck, put it in, fill the tire back up and go.

4. Cubguy

Cubguy LawnSite Member

It helps, I use 2 or 3 times the recommended amount

5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I have used it, it works, but it tends to clog up the filler valve so I don't like to use it if I don't have too.

6. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe AmerSeal to be a better product. It will not make the tires hard to replace and the rims can be cleaned out with plain water.
    Unlimited shelf life as well so you can keep some and have it handy when you replace the tires.
    For quantities, It is best to use the tire application guide published on their web site: http://www.amerseal.com/

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ive used Slime for years. The only time I've had problems with leaks is if it has been in the tire for several years it tends to dry up and dosn't work anymore. But adding some more seems to seal it back up.

I've had NO damage to any wheels using it, and I've pulled tires off of rims myself. YES, tire shops will tell you all kinds of things to keep you from using the stuff for a couple reasons. 1. they don't make money on tire repairs, and 2. it's NASTY stuff to deal with when you do have to replace a worn out tire.

I've tried ameriseal, and some other brand before, and the tires still leaked out. Slime is the only one I've found that works. You also don't need any certian mile per hour speed to make it work. Only thing you have to do, after you pump it into the tire is spin it around, preferbly by driving on the tire a little while to make sure the Slime is coating the whole inside of the tire.

And yes, it gets in the valve stem... My advice is to always hit the stem with a quick shot of air from the tire chuck BEFORE checking air pressure with a gague, this clears out the slime and keeps it from gumming up your tire gague.

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Not Slime, but do use Pneumaseal. Even put it in brand new tires. As it is non-toxic, cleanup with water. Also has the advantage of being able to be used as ballast. Good to -40° according to the maker.

9. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

use it all the time. have for many years and no problems. just a mess when changing tires.

10. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i use it in all mower tires, and put it in trailer tires when needed.