Slime in tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crawdad, Jun 18, 2002.

1. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, I'm sick of tires, I wanna mow, not fix tires. That slime stuff you put in ahead of time, to fix flats, how is it? I have a slow leak on my ZTR tire, from a piece of wire in the sidewall, I'm fixin to slime them all and be done with it. Should I put in tubes first, so I dont get icky stuff all over my rims?
    Crawdad
    these tires are driving me to drink :drinkup:

2. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

I used Slime in the front tires of my ZTR after they kept going flat. It worked until I got a large hole in the side wall of one of the tires.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Crawdad,
    Get your wire removed and patch/plug hole as necessary. Then add Slime or whatever flavor/type you want. Make sure you add the appropriate amount. The stuff works. No tube! Thats what tubeless tires are for!

4. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

I no longer use slime because if it leaks you can get turf damage.
    I carry a plug kit as well as tank of air in trailer. Tubes will get extra life out of tires with holes in the sidewall. I run tubes in front casters of Z's as the bead sometimes wants to pop when you run low pressure and hit a curb or squirrel too hard. I have a "mini" tire changer bolted to the floor of my shop to help with repairs( a great investment). I have no desire to be a tire repairmen, but it's one of the hats I have to wear. I used Slime for a couple of years, but after some dead turf tracks AND teaching myself tire repair.............the slime is history.

Robert

5. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Slime works well, but I prefer just plugging the tire. The kit costs about $10 and will repair up to 10 flats. Takes less than a minute.

Slime will seal a tite, but when it's time for a replacement, you'll be sorry!
    :cry:

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I replaced a worn-out front caster wheel on my Lazer that was 'slimed'. No problems. The stuff was not sticky and rinsed right off of the rim. I dumped the tire out in a gravel lined ditch...so I can't comment on damage to turf. I guess I'm glad I dumped it where I did though as I would have hated to have killed some grass with it. I didn't know that it can hurt the turf and the bottle gave no indication that this could be a problem. Thanks for the 'heads up'! :)

7. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

I have heard that some of these tire sealers can corrode the rim.... this is just what I've heard and am curious if it holds any truth?

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a big enough hole that the SLIME is leaking out and killing the turf, you have BIG FREAKIN' HOLE! I've never used the brand name "SLIME". Had the factory fill in the DC, and some red stuff in the Lazer. Had a thorn hole the other day in the Lazer. In the morning, saw a red dot the size of a pencil eraser. Haven't lost air pressure yet, and haven't seen the red dot since. (Guess it worked!)

OK....Whats worse.....A little spotty dead grass, or the whole lawn cut with a tilted deck from a low or flat tire????

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The actual slime brand works well. Washes out real easy like it was said before. Will not do turf damage that I've ever seen. Also, its not corrosive like the other types.

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

not that i expect anyone to do it . but the best soil stirulent ive ever seen is spilled latex paint. heck we could jus paint the lawns green. needs repeating on alternate yrs.:D