Slime vs Tire Repair kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ooomwizard, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Slime vs Tire Repair kit

I repair all my auto flats using a tire repair kit. Kits are usually less than $10 and I can use it for 8+ repairs. Works great.

Slime is a mess, it does work and costs about the same but maybe not as many repairs. I haven't had a mower flat yet (/crosses fingers) and was wondering if anyone else uses the tire repair kits on their mower tires and equipment tires.

Or do you prefer Slime?

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I have used the plugs for emergencies, but most of the time I slime.:rolleyes:

3. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I put the soft filled tires on the Lazar front this year very nice for flats I keep a plug kit on hand

4. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping LawnSite Member

I used Slime with no problems. Loved it when I racing on the GNCC circut, ATV's of course. Never showed interest in motorcycles on dirt.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Inner tubes I don't mind, but not the tubeless.

Most of the time I use it on front casters, and velke tires, if I do.
    I also carry a spare inner tube and a bicycle flat-fix kit, those patches work good, too.
    Then some tires still leak after slime, you about have to fill the whole thing with it, by then I can buy another tube.

Because I also change my own tires, and valve stems too.
    It might be all right on mowers, but it is messy and car tires won't balance with that crap in it.
    So I don't play, unless it can't be fixed because like a hole in the sidewall or some other bs, it takes but a few minutes to plug it.
    For the truck it helps to carefully drill the hole out with an electric drill first, that's for sure.

6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

never tried slime.i use plugs

7. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't use plugs as the tire company has to fix them on the truck and they use patches. Do use sealant in the mower tires as there are cactus and other thorny plants down here.

8. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

With Slime it will/may fill the hole on the fly with little air loss. Continue working.

With a plug kit you'll need to air it up.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

thats when I plug my 12v air compressor into the cigarette lighter. :cool2: otherwise I'd be :walking:... :)

10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I use both, KTB (slime) then if it is a big hole I plug it. The KTB works great and it it a lot cheaper than slime (I buy it by the 6 gal bucket)