Slime???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scagguy, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I picked up my new Lazer HP today. Went to go mow a commercial account with it. Had been mowing for about 20 minutes and noticed the ride wasn't so good anymore. Upon further inspection the right rear tire was flat. Great!!!!! Dumped in a can of fix a flat because that's all I had with me and finished the job. so after getting back to the shop I put some air in the tire and it's leaking slightly from the middle of the side wall. Bummer. Do you think that adding slime will possibly fix the issue or do I just need to bite the bullet and replace this tire? Opinions are appreciated.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Tires often have a very short new warranty.
    Check your warranty statement.

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

no you need reliability take the mower to the dealer and get a new tire.

4. Stillwater

shorter than twenty minutes?

5. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Slime works great, I have used that on my Bobcat's tires and it always holds up good, but for something like a tire on a mower. I would spend the 50 or so dollars and buy a new one, especially a sidewall break. The slime might give you a decent timetable to be fixed, but one day its going to blow out and your going to just get mad and it will set you behind. Just fix it now

6. S.I.

S.I. LawnSite Senior Member
    from west

If the side wall is leaking on a new tire/mower take it back to the dealer and have them replace it...................should be no cost----20min

Slime does work however for nail, screw, wire, goatheads or whatever other small punctures you get in the tire.............Keep a bottle in the tool box next to 12v air pump.............Great thing about slime it only sets up when exposed so you can put in in a new tire and prevent future leaks

7. Stillwater

ya this is a 20 minute old mower I would be really nice about it but I would want a new tire period. unless it is clear it is damage and not a defect if they cant put new rubber on your rim within a hour or so then they should spin off a tire from another mower to get you going.

8. Stillwater

I would love to foam my z's tires but the z's weigh enough as it is and the added weight would probibly trash the wheel motors. it would be nice if they had light weight foam. i had my skid steeres tires foamed (it was not cheap to do) and I could not lift the dam tires to bolt them back up I needed help they weighed!

9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks to everyone that replied. Ya'll have yourselves a great day!!!